PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] shift, ctrl, and alt buttons don't work

antwone89
September 1st, 2008, 06:13 AM
ok so here's the situation. i don't know why but for some reason today when i turned on my laptop, my shift, ctrl, and alt buttons did not work at all. at first i thought it was my keyboard, but diagnostics said nothing was wrong with it. i really don't know what to do about this. something like this has never happened before to me so i really don't know how to handle the situation. if anyone knows any solutions, or references, or whatever else, please tell me. i use this laptop for school and really need to fix this problem ASAP.

thanks
antwone89

dlobo
September 17th, 2008, 12:46 PM
I experience the same problem sometimes while I am running vmware server.
I used to 'correct' the problem by rebooting. However I just found a solution online that worked for me:
1- Open a command line prompt
2- Type:setxkbmap

and that's it.
Afterwards, ctrl, alt and shift were back to normal.

I hope this helps you too.

Thanks

dmlobo

fast3r
March 24th, 2009, 10:33 AM
i have exactly same problem. i cant even use clipboard shortcuts... anythig that reqiures alt ctr shift or super to work, i cant use. but interesting thing, super + mouse scroll in copiz works - zooming.

i have ubuntu 8.10, and chicony wireless keyboard. i have no clue where to start looking, the setxkbmap didnt work for me.

i installed ubuntu yesterday, and afaik, im facing this problem from very start.