PDA

View Full Version : Request "Command Line Section"

ARhere
September 1st, 2008, 04:27 AM
Can I request a new category be created under "Main Support Categories" titled "Linux Command Line" for help with general Linux command line use.

-AR

p_quarles
September 1st, 2008, 04:44 AM
This kind of thing is already on topic for virtually any section of the forum, so I'm not sure what purpose the new section would serve. Could you expand on that?

Funny thing is that a lot of people complain that there's too much command line instruction given here. :)

LaRoza
September 1st, 2008, 05:02 AM
This kind of thing is already on topic for virtually any section of the forum, so I'm not sure what purpose the new section would serve. Could you expand on that?

I think the OP is asking for a shell help forum.

@OP Most such questions fit very well in the Programming Talk, so you can post such questions there if it is on shell commands and scripts.

ARhere
September 1st, 2008, 05:33 AM
Sure. I have found that a lot of my problems stem from a basic ignorance of Linux and basic Linux commands. Using the GUI for stuff is great, but I find myself always opening up a terminal when I need to fix something. Having a better understanding of basic commands and command line structure sure makes things a whole lot easier.

Funny thing is that a lot of people complain that there's too much command line instruction given here. :)
Hehehe, I like GUI's where available, and I understand the frustration new people have with command line interface; thus the need for this new sub-section. :wink: I will bet that a lot of new Linux users would appreciate this.

-AR

ARhere
September 1st, 2008, 05:37 AM
@OP Most such questions fit very well in the Programming Talk, so you can post such questions there if it is on shell commands and scripts.

You are mostly right, but I have not had much luck in the programing talk. My question usually are basic use of commands like "cp", needing to use a "./" for a local executable, and such.

-AR

p_quarles
September 1st, 2008, 05:38 AM
Sure. I have found that a lot of my problems stem from a basic ignorance of Linux and basic Linux commands. Using the GUI for stuff is great, but I find myself always opening up a terminal when I need to fix something. Having a better understanding of basic commands and command line structure sure makes things a whole lot easier.
Well, like I said, questions along those lines can be asked virtually anywhere, depending on the topic (e.g., how to fix screen resolution would go in video & multimedia, while configuring iptables might go in Security or Networking). Like LaRoza said, questions on advanced uses (e.g., scripting) might even fit in Programming Talk.

But I don't think a separate section would really help -- people who know the command line usually know the commands that are useful to them (whether that's xrandr or iptables) and not every possible command. Setting things up by topic rather than by method makes most sense to me for that reason.

LaRoza
September 1st, 2008, 05:39 AM
You are mostly right, but I have not had much luck in the programing talk. My question usually are basic use of commands like "cp", needing to use a "./" for a local executable, and such.

-AR

Not to sound evil or anything, but that is the type of question one should use man pages and online resources for.

A single question is one thing, but if one has an interest in learning, looking it up and using it (like the people who will be answering) is the best way.

For your reference: http://laroza77.wikidot.com/linux

LaRoza
September 1st, 2008, 05:39 AM
well, like i said, questions along those lines can be asked virtually anywhere, depending on the topic (e.g., how to fix screen resolution would go in video & multimedia, while configuring iptables might go in security or networking). Like laroza said, questions on advanced uses (e.g., scripting) might even fit in programming talk.

But i don't think a separate section would really help -- people who know the command line usually know the commands that are useful to them (whether that's xrandr or iptables) and not every possible command. Setting things up by topic rather than by method makes most sense to me for that reason.

+1

cyberdork33
September 1st, 2008, 05:53 AM
I find that it is often a good thing to explain specifically what posted commands are doing. Too many come on here and find copy/paste system configurations which they just blindly implement with no actual knowledge of what they are doing.

ARhere
September 1st, 2008, 06:16 AM
Not to sound evil or anything, but that is the type of question one should use man pages and online resources for.

Sometimes the man pages are clear and sometimes I think the author of the man page is trying to impress his audience rather instruct them.

For your reference: http://laroza77.wikidot.com/linux
Nice link BTW. I will read up on it tomorrow. I also invested $50 on Ubuntu Unleashed by Andrew Hudson and Paul Hudson (ISBN#978-0-672-32993-7) It's a good book but I have not had time to read the "Command Line and Scripting" section.

Well, like I said, questions along those lines can be asked virtually anywhere, depending on the topic (e.g., how to fix screen resolution would go in video & multimedia, while configuring iptables might go in Security or Networking). Like LaRoza said, questions on advanced uses (e.g., scripting) might even fit in Programming Talk.

meh. Point taken.

-AR