PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hardy Heron shuts down out of the blue

Beniamin
September 1st, 2008, 02:54 AM
I upgraded from 7.10 to 8.04 yesterday, and everything went smoothly with the upgrade.

I really like the new version, but for some reason, just out of the blue, my computer beeps and goes through the shut down process. I can't predict when it's going to do this, but so far it's done it when I'm looking at websites in Firefox (I don't know if this bit of information would help or not).

Any ideas what might be happening? It is odd to say the least, and I would like to avoid it.

tamoneya
September 1st, 2008, 02:58 AM
can we get some computer specs. Also typically the most common reason for a shutdown like that is over heating. Try installing lmsensors and conky and monitor the temperatures for a while to see if you can figure anything out. Firefox shouldnt overload computer to the point of overheating but I guess if this was some really old computer with lots of dust in it it is possible.

On a side note hearing about shut downs and the color blue bring up scary images from my windows past. I guess that is a reflex I will never unlearn.

Beniamin
September 1st, 2008, 03:03 AM
It's a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop, fairly new. I didn't have this problem until I upgraded, so I wouldn't think it was overheating. I'll do what you suggested though and see what I can figure out.

tamoneya
September 1st, 2008, 04:17 AM
it may be that hardy is managing the fans differently than gusty did. Doesnt hurt to take a look.

Beniamin
September 16th, 2008, 02:15 AM
Do you think you could give me some specific instructions on how to use lmsensors? I believe I've got it installed now, but I'm not that skilled with Linux and I'm not sure what to do next.