PDA

View Full Version : What do you like and don't like about Ubuntu/Linux?

Prominence
September 1st, 2008, 01:30 AM
What I like: Fast, Free, Virus-Free, Customizable, has features of every OS out there and more. So much you can do with it, honestly way too many things to list. I mean, it has all of the features I've been hearing about Mac OS X, and the cheapest mac is 1200, and I have this all for free, and you can put it on anything. VERY easy installation (with the exception of things you have to do all of the command line stuff for.) Comes installed with all of the necessary software, and more. Installs incredibly fast, and can uninstall easily. Can do

What I don't like: A lot of software I like/need isn't made for linux, a lot of software doesn't support Linux (iTunes, Cubase, Photoshop, Paint.NET, Windows Live Messenger, so so so many programs.) No professional software is made for linux, simply, one of the things that keeps me going back to windows over and over and over. If there is a program to replace a windows program, its either not as good, way harder to use, or both.
Things in Ubuntu are either really easy or really hard, 1 click or a million command lines. All kinds of things can happen in it, good and bad, when its good, its really good, when its bad, its really bad. Has too many...cheap, watered down programs.

My complains and opinions, I love Ubuntu, don't get me wrong, but it's not perfect, nothing is really.

david_lynch
September 1st, 2008, 01:36 AM
Things in Ubuntu are either really easy or really hard, 1 click or a million command lines. All kinds of things can happen in it, good and bad, when its good, its really good, when its bad, its really bad. Has too many...cheap, watered down programs.

I think the "million command lines" is just a lack of experience talking. I'm impressed by how sensible and straightforward ubuntu is. Sure, there may be some network option that you can't set by clicking the menu entry, but it takes just a few seconds to edit /etc/network/interfaces if you want to set some advanced options.
:guitar:

I'd be curious about the "really bad" part. I know these folks are always striving to make ubuntu better. And could you give some example of the "watered down programs", and suggest suitable replacements?

LaRoza
September 1st, 2008, 01:37 AM
What I don't like: A lot of software I like/need isn't made for linux, a lot of software doesn't support Linux (iTunes, Cubase, Photoshop, Paint.NET, Windows Live Messenger, so so so many programs.)
That is true for many people. Some, like me, don't have any use for non Linux software.

No professional software is made for linux, simply, one of the things that keeps me going back to windows over and over and over. If there is a program to replace a windows program, its either not as good, way harder to use, or both.

That is wrong. Linux, Apache, MySQL, PostregSQL, VMWare, OpenOffice, etc are all professional.

For the use of open source programs, their quality is not all that different on various platforms. For commercial proprietary software, there may be a lack, but that is probably because of a lack of significant demand.

Prominence
September 1st, 2008, 01:59 AM
Well Commercial is what I ment, excuse my poor use of words, and I'm just not a big fan of command lines, but yeah, Ubuntu is amazingly straight forward. I just have a lot of issues to fix here and there I on this computer that involves the terminal and command lines and it kinda gets old.

dodle
September 1st, 2008, 02:10 AM
What I don't like about Ubuntu/Linux is that more people aren't using it.

Prominence
September 1st, 2008, 02:12 AM
I'm in agreement on that, if more people used it, more problems would be solved (more software, commercial companies would recongize linux, etc)

dodle
September 1st, 2008, 02:18 AM
Hopefully Wine will make some good progress soon, and it will be more compatible with that commercial software you're talking about.

LaRoza
September 1st, 2008, 02:18 AM
I'm in agreement on that, if more people used it, more problems would be solved (more software, commercial companies would recongize linux, etc)

Many OEM's are uncoupling themselves from Microsoft now. It is rather slow, but it is happening to a degree.

dodle
September 1st, 2008, 02:20 AM
I think that Dell puts out a few computers and laptops installed with Ubuntu.
http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/linux_3x?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

LaRoza
September 1st, 2008, 02:21 AM
I think that Dell puts out a few computers and laptops installed with Ubuntu.

Asus. HP. Lenovo. System76. And probably others.

Prominence
September 1st, 2008, 02:32 AM
HP has pre-installed Ubuntu computers?! I did not know that...I knew about dell, but it's good to hear that companies are going cross platfrom, I know Google goes cross platform, and Mozilla. And yeah, I really hope Wine advances as well.

chucky chuckaluck
September 1st, 2008, 02:50 AM
ubuntu helped me get my foot in the door. i think it's one of those distros that makes it easy for a lot of people to do a lot of things easily. because of that, it can't be the spartan minimalist distro i ultimately want (you can't be everything).

Prominence
September 1st, 2008, 02:53 AM
Its an amazing OS, and by far my favorite, but I just need some of my software.

wirepuller134
September 1st, 2008, 03:37 AM
What I like, is it simply does everything I would expect it to be able to do.

What I don't like, nothing comes to mind.

Prominence
September 1st, 2008, 03:43 AM
I just hope things work out and all goes good for Ubuntu so that more people run it and companies make versions of their software for it.

dodle
September 1st, 2008, 12:42 PM
I wish that Broadcom would come out with a Linux driver for the 43xx so that I could use my wireless card. *sigh* I guess I'll have to reinstall the original card.

skitzware
September 1st, 2008, 01:15 PM
The only thing that I dont like is the lack of good professional photography software, (but thats in Linux in general).
Color Management is still hit & miss. (haven't yet tried a spyder 3, cant afford one yet).
A3 Printer calibration in nix is poor, no support. (Theres no one working to right this wrong).
Workflow is a mess too.

Prefix100
September 1st, 2008, 02:34 PM
I don't like that i can't get good performance in windows games.

SuperSonic4
September 1st, 2008, 02:46 PM
I like the fact it's free and relatively secure (compared to windows)
It runs quickly compared to vista and will be supported unlike xp in a few months (that's a guess)
KDE has the two storey (for want of a better word) taskbar for programs
Amarok <3 (which is superior to all music players imo)

I don't like the lack of printer support, no port of office 07 (but that's to be expected lol!) and hardware support like my webcam

jespdj
September 1st, 2008, 03:57 PM
HP has pre-installed Ubuntu computers?! I did not know that...
Not Ubuntu, but Linux.

The HP 2133 Mini-Note (http://h40059.www4.hp.com/hp2133/) comes with SUSE Linux. Likewise, the Asus Eee PC comes with Xandros Linux, and Dell has several laptops with Ubuntu. System 76 is a company that specializes in Linux computers.

J.T.
September 1st, 2008, 04:03 PM
I like that it runs smooth and is virus resistant.
I don't like that I can't use my printer. No Driver currently exists for the Lexmark Z1300.

ulfsaar
September 1st, 2008, 04:21 PM
My main peeve with Linux is simply many programs I know are not supported in Linux . It requires way too much effort to make the program work in Linux .

KIAaze
September 1st, 2008, 06:47 PM
What I hate about Ubuntu: I can't shut it down!!!

No, seriously, it's a bug!: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/consolekit/+bug/250506

:lolflag: