PDA

View Full Version : Love.

nickgaydos
September 1st, 2008, 12:19 AM
I have fallen in love with KDE 4. I really didn't use KDE (Kubuntu) even though I had it installed in Ubuntu, but now I have been using OpenSUSE for a little while, it...well...it is spectacular and I love it :-)

DemonBob
September 1st, 2008, 12:39 AM
Get a room! :p Just Kidding,

I haven't used KDE in a while but i recently installed it next to gnome ion my Ubuntu box, and i'm liking it. Still love the clean cut simplicity of gnome though.

samjh
September 1st, 2008, 12:50 AM
You should save your love for fellow humans and God (or whatever you might believe in). ;)

I'm using KDE 4.1 too, but on Kubuntu. It's a little wobbly sometimes (and I'm not talking about wobbly windows), but very nice. :)

solitaire
September 1st, 2008, 01:33 AM
I've not used KDE in about a year or so. (Used it in it's early days but I've wiped that from my long term memory!) :D

I had a quick look and KDE 4.1 it looks good not sure of switching to it yet, might install Kbuntu 8.10 when it's released (If it's stable and working) and use it for a few months to see how it feels like.

Is KDE faster then Gnome? my laptop has only 512Mb RAM (and 16Mb video)

Mateo
September 1st, 2008, 01:50 AM
hate it. the way it treats the desktop is TERRIBLE in my opinion. You can't even drag stuff from the desktop into dolphin. Terrible.

Istonian
September 1st, 2008, 03:09 AM
Not much into KDE 4. I still think it needs a lot more time and improvements for me to consider it. Thats the great thing though; we choose what we like best.

jinksys
September 2nd, 2008, 02:55 AM
hate it. the way it treats the desktop is TERRIBLE in my opinion. You can't even drag stuff from the desktop into dolphin. Terrible.

Exactly. Remember when a desktop was simple? A wallpaper and some icons, thats it. It's hard to mess up icons, but somehow KDE found a way.

EdThaSlayer
September 2nd, 2008, 04:59 AM

Mateo, KDE 4 is pretty new(even though 4.1 just came out), so expect a few things at the moment not in perfect working conditions. But think about it this way, the next GNOME isn't going to come anytime soon, is it?(maybe, it will stay the same forever...with no big advancements...)

Exactly. Remember when a desktop was simple? A wallpaper and some icons, thats it. It's hard to mess up icons, but somehow KDE found a way.
I don't know what you're talking about. My KDE icons are fine. But then again, I'm still using the KDE 3 series.

jinksys
September 2nd, 2008, 05:09 AM
I don't know what you're talking about. My KDE icons are fine. But then again, I'm still using the KDE 3 series.

I was referring to the icons in KDE4. KDE3's icons are just standard icons, and they work great. KDE4 icons are on steroids and not in a good way.

zmjjmz
September 2nd, 2008, 05:14 AM
But how... I mean, where... it's just...
Ok, I give up.

Trail
September 2nd, 2008, 08:34 AM

Yes, you can.

Take a look into Folderview. (which can also be set as default desktop wallpaper, which has the behavior of the KDE3.5 desktop). Desktop Settings -> Desktop Activity Type: Folderview. It is currently the default on OpenSUSE KDE4-Unstable.