PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Brasero Problems

slumbergod
August 31st, 2008, 11:32 PM
Does anyone else find that audio cds produced in Brasero usually have glitches in them?

Almost every audio disc I burn seems to have a glitch in some track, sometimes quite bad (like a skipping cd). It doesn't seem to matter whether the source track was ogg or mp3. It doesn't matter whether I do it on my old laptop or my new one. And it doesn't seem to matter whether I use the repo version or the latest getdeb package. Ditto for trying different burning speeds. And I have tried making sure nothing else using excessive hard disk usage is running.

I know its aim is to be simple but perhaps if there was a little more in the way of configuration options I might be able to determine whether the problem is from transcoding or burning.

in the past I used to use K3B and I didn't get this problem with that application. But I'd like to exhaust all options with Brasero before I remove it.

What settings for speed are others using? Is there some hidden configuration settings that are not immediately obvious?

brunolabs
September 1st, 2008, 12:25 AM
Does anyone else find that audio cds produced in Brasero usually have glitches in them?

Yes.
Brasero also mess up my data cd's. File labels after burning are different from the original.

For audio cd's use Serpentine.

lovinglinux
September 1st, 2008, 01:16 AM
So why is it the default burner?

I have burned and reinstalled Ubuntu from a Brasero DVD. Should I be worried?

slumbergod
September 1st, 2008, 01:57 AM
Thanks, I will give Serpentine a try for audio cds. What do people recommend for burning data dvds?

slumbergod
September 6th, 2008, 01:27 AM
For the past few days I have been using GnomeBaker. I have burned quite a few data dvds and verified them against the original data with a script I wrote. So far it has been rock solid. I still have to try out making an audio cd but given the scrutiny I have been giving the data dvds I am confident they will all come through fine.

Just out of interest, does anyone know how Brasero came to be the Ubuntu favourite instead of GnomeBaker? I don't much of the history of the two applications but GnomeBaker feels more mature. Brasero looks good, and seems to do the same things as Gnomebaker, but has the feel of an application that isn't quite there yet.

I am not knocking one over the other because I know plenty of people who do just fine with Brasero...but I am curious as to how Brasero got included.

Thoughts anyone?

rocknrolf77
September 6th, 2008, 01:36 AM
Also had problems with brasero data and audio cd's. So I'm using k3b or gnomebaker. Don't know if this happens to everybody. Can't remember if I get the same problem in arch either. Maybe it's just with some cd/dvd writers :confused: