PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need virus protection for Tbird email??

sillyboy
August 31st, 2008, 10:50 PM
Don't I need a anti virus program for my Tbird email?? If yes, will AVG work?

Thanks

insane_alien
August 31st, 2008, 10:51 PM
not really no.

avg has a linux version if you really want it but in 99% of cases it is pointless.

halitech
August 31st, 2008, 10:56 PM
in most cases you (as in for protection for your computer) don't need an antivirus program as most viruses out there are either in theory only or have been patched in the kernel so long ago that they are mostly useless.

if you share a lot of files with a windows network (or friends using windows) then it wouldn't hurt to install AVG or ClamAV (in the repos) to help keep them safe.

sillyboy
August 31st, 2008, 11:08 PM
in most cases you (as in for protection for your computer) don't need an antivirus program as most viruses out there are either in theory only or have been patched in the kernel so long ago that they are mostly useless.

if you share a lot of files with a windows network (or friends using windows) then it wouldn't hurt to install AVG or ClamAV (in the repos) to help keep them safe.

Ahhhhhh...What is repos, and how is it downloaded?

lisati
August 31st, 2008, 11:11 PM
Rule 1: Be cautious of email from people you don't know
Rule 2: Be suspicious of attachments from people you don't know

halitech
August 31st, 2008, 11:12 PM
the repos are where Ubuntu (and Debian) keep a list of all the files/applications available for download. Usually you can access it by going System - Administration - Synaptic package manager. You will get a search option. Just type in what you are looking for and click search.

kelinu
August 31st, 2008, 11:13 PM
The repos is basically the Synaptics Package Manager (in a very simplified, straight to the point kind of way to explain it...) Just open up Synaptics and search for clamav in this case.

In theory an antivirus program an linux is a good idea, although it is highly unlikely that you will get a virus on your machine, it is always a good idea to have that just-in-case protection as you never know what might come up on your pc. That's my opinion in any case...

Hope this helps! :)

sillyboy
August 31st, 2008, 11:26 PM
the repos are where Ubuntu (and Debian) keep a list of all the files/applications available for download. Usually you can access it by going System - Administration - Synaptic package manager. You will get a search option. Just type in what you are looking for and click search.

I thinking that I need the AV for other peoples Windows machines. I am the only one (of my friends)that is trying to use Linux (Ubuntu).

Thanks

halitech
August 31st, 2008, 11:28 PM
I thinking that I need the AV for other peoples Windows machines. I am the only one (of my friends)that is trying to use Linux (Ubuntu).

Thanks

It's certainly not a bad idea to help try to protect them (in some cases from themselves ;) )

sillyboy
August 31st, 2008, 11:42 PM
I can't find clamav. Don't I have to configure it?

halitech
August 31st, 2008, 11:48 PM
by default clamav is command line, if you want a frontend for it, install clamtk or avscan and then you will have an entry in your menu

mike1234
September 1st, 2008, 01:41 AM

+1 Passing a virus on to someone is more of a concern than your Linux being infected.

M.