PDA

View Full Version : Top 7 Best-kept Linux Secrets

Mazza558
August 31st, 2008, 09:47 PM
http://synapticism.wordpress.com/2008/08/31/top-7-best-kept-linux-secrets/

Hi, all, just written a blog post about some well-kept Linux secrets (in terms of applications), that are either insanely cool, or insanely polished. Have a read and tell me what you think :)

(Digg it here. (http://digg.com/linux_unix/Top_7_Best_kept_Linux_Secrets)

cardinals_fan
August 31st, 2008, 10:15 PM
Nice, but change the title to "Top 7 Best-Kept Ubuntu Secrets". Many of those are Ubuntu or Debian specific.

Trail
September 1st, 2008, 09:50 AM
Nice, but change the title to "Top 7 Best-Kept Ubuntu Secrets". Many of those are Ubuntu or Debian specific.

++

billgoldberg
September 1st, 2008, 09:57 AM
I've read the article (it was on tuxmachines) and it was nothing new for me.

Except that mouse gestures app.

Might be a good read for people new to linux.

NovaAesa
September 1st, 2008, 10:04 AM
Nice find, I didn't realise that Banshee was so neato. I tried it about a yeah ago and thought it was a piece of crap. Downloading it now, going to give it another go.

barbedsaber
September 1st, 2008, 10:09 AM
I knew about all of them, still a good list though. dugg.

Mazza558
September 1st, 2008, 10:39 AM
I've changed the title to be more accurate. The article was aimed to have a bit for everyone.

Kabezon
September 1st, 2008, 11:31 AM
I didn't like the system menu thingy :P I didn't know Banshee made such big progress... I'm installing it right now :) See if it can beat my beloved Amarok :P

OK I'm using it right now... Don't like it as much as Amarok :P How do I set custom artwork? Do I really need to go into each folder of each artist and name its cover "cover.jpg"? What if the track I'm listening to it's in the same folder as 100 other tracks from different artists? How would that work? I would need to make a folder for each one of them? :S Also, I don't like the fact that it doesn't have lyrics (at least I dont see them :P) or artist information, creating playlists it's way easier in Amarok (just double click on the song or drag and drop) Also, the Context tab in Amarok is just unique. Can't beat it, must mimic it :P I don't like how you can't configure the OSD either. On the other hand the CD ripping is great. So is the video support (Amarok will include this in their next version). Besides that, Amarok is better than Banshee in everyway. It's not an "Amarok-killer". not yet :P