PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Gustav

DemonBob
August 31st, 2008, 09:42 PM
Well.......I'm right in the path buckled down, ready for it to hit, anyone else in the area?

myusername
August 31st, 2008, 09:46 PM
I'm in Alabama. I'm praying for u guys

dazzlindonna
August 31st, 2008, 09:53 PM
Yep, I'm here too. 61 miles north of New Orleans in a little town called Franklinton. We should be safe from the storm surge since we're high enough above sea level, but this area usually gets hit hard with wind and tornado damage. Still, we're as prepared as anyone can be for such things. Sent the kids/grandkids up to Tennessee to keep them safe, but we're staying behind with the animals. Hang in there, DemonBob. Hold on tight. We will be. :)

gletob
August 31st, 2008, 09:58 PM
I'm up in VA I'm praying for everybody in the path of Gustav. Where are you at exactly?

amazingtaters
August 31st, 2008, 10:00 PM
Y'all are brave for staying, but seriously I would think of evacuating. Especially if you are in New Orleans, as per the mandatory evacuation notice. Gustav's gonna be a total beast, and it's supposed to be bigger and rougher than Katrina.

Lord Xeb
August 31st, 2008, 10:01 PM
I live in Ohio, so we will get hit with the remenants. But still. I sure hope it goes more towards the west so it doesn't hit as many oil platforms.

DemonBob
August 31st, 2008, 10:05 PM
Right between Hammond, and Baton Rouge.

Polygon
August 31st, 2008, 10:15 PM
Well.......I'm right in the path buckled down, ready for it to hit, anyone else in the area?

and...hurricane katrina has taught you nothing?

gletob
August 31st, 2008, 10:19 PM

I wouldn't be so blunt but I sort of agree

DemonBob
August 31st, 2008, 10:24 PM
Honestly Katrina didn't affect me much other the power outage. I've road out Andrew, Katrina, and all the one's inbetween, with nothing more then being out of power for a few days. Infact Andrew was worse on my area then Katrina.

5m0k3
August 31st, 2008, 10:55 PM
I'm in the Florida panhandle keeping an eye on the tropics, as I always must do this time of year. I hope all goes well for those affected by Gustav and other storms as the season progresses

Prefix100
September 1st, 2008, 12:22 AM
Good luck

ryantriplett
September 1st, 2008, 12:29 AM
Alabama here as well... good luck! :)

Jinkzt3r
September 1st, 2008, 12:31 AM
Damn guys, I live in Florida so I've had my fair share of hurricanes, but the best of luck to you all.

GrandpaLeaman
September 1st, 2008, 12:41 AM
Honestly Katrina didn't affect me much other the power outage. I've road out Andrew, Katrina, and all the one's inbetween, with nothing more then being out of power for a few days. Infact Andrew was worse on my area then Katrina.

Gustav doesn't look like it will be a cakewalk. You're going to be on the most destructive side of this storm. I hope you have a safe room just in case. I went through three hurricanes in one year and believe me it was no fun. But what you will see with Gustav will be much more powerful than anything I and my family went through.

My thoughts and prayers will be with you in the next few days, but please take my advise and get out of harms way.

Take care!

jflaker
September 1st, 2008, 12:42 AM
Northeastern PA in the mountains....We will likely get whatever is left over.

Quite frankly, I wouldn't have returned to the areas below sea level....It isn't the first one that gets ya, it is the ones that come after the one that weakened the infrastructure.....Katrina was just the straw that broke the camel's back really, or that broke the levees.

DemonBob
September 1st, 2008, 12:47 AM
Well i sent my daughter out of state along with my wife, i stayed behind to help my grandparents, and great uncle and aunts 13 all thogether, who can't really get out of state.

mike1234
September 1st, 2008, 01:05 AM
There's always an inherent risk living anywhere. Florida has had how many hurricanes in the last few years? Cali has it's quakes. In Monterey we had 3.0 tremors on a regular basis. It was usually in an area that didn't really affect anything. I lived through the Blizzard of '78 in Ohio. 100 mph sustained winds and 18 foot snow drifts for 3 days. Fun. Plus we get Tornadoes. Kind of hard to find an area that doesn't have some phenom associated with it. If you can do the 400 mile drive to be safe. Good luck. I just wish it wouldn't screw with gas prices, like they need an excuse to jack prices.

M.

LaRoza
September 1st, 2008, 01:39 AM
Northeastern PA in the mountains....We will likely get whatever is left over.

Quite frankly, I wouldn't have returned to the areas below sea level....It isn't the first one that gets ya, it is the ones that come after the one that weakened the infrastructure.....Katrina was just the straw that broke the camel's back really, or that broke the levees.

I too live in NEPA. Although we get a bunch of things (documented tornado's, remains of hurricanes, blizzards, etc) we don't get it to the extreme that much.

SuperSonic4
September 1st, 2008, 01:41 AM
I'll wish you all good luck (we don't really get any disasters here in the UK :p) although I love the way our news only gives a crap if it hits the USA

LaRoza
September 1st, 2008, 01:54 AM
I'll wish you all good luck (we don't really get any disasters here in the UK :p) although I love the way our news only gives a crap if it hits the USA

I guess you all get no disasters because your weather is always bad?

hellion0
September 1st, 2008, 02:01 AM
I'm near I-12, Mile 68. My place survived Katrina with no damage, even after a tree fell on it.

This time, I didn't have a way out, and too many other factors keeping me from leaving. So, I'm going to be riding it out up here.

Already starting to notice the earliest rain bands, and the worst is yet to come.

Mateo
September 1st, 2008, 02:03 AM
it's probably time we all just resign with the fact that new orleans is not a liveable city any more, and that it should only exist as a small-population port city.

bobbob1016
September 1st, 2008, 02:23 AM

Not everyone can pack up and move like that. Really nice way to say that. But Katrina was bad because of the levys right? I'd think they fixed them somewhat. I thought they could hold up to a 3, and last I checked Gustav was a 3 or so. I mean I've been in FL for 20 years (I'm 22), and we get hurricanes too, but since we're sea level, not much flooding. I'm hoping the next two, Hana and whatever else, go either north.

Just remember:
0) DO NOT GO OUT WHEN IT GETS QUIET OUT. Wait an hour or so, and make sure things stay calm, it can get deceptively calm during the eye of the storm.
1) Stay in a central room without windows, or as few as possible.
2) Fill the bathtub with water (clean it first), so you have some more drinkable water
3) Get gas sooner rather than later for any cars/generators.
4) Have cash on hand, and get animal food too.
5) Have extra extra batteries for radios.
6) Get a power inverter to charge your cellphone from your car.
7) Pull any trash cans or other debris in the house, bbq's anything that's light enough for you to lift.

hanzomon4
September 1st, 2008, 02:27 AM
I got out of the City, Lake Charles... Now I'm in the land of Dubya Bush.

I miss Chicago :(

Colro
September 1st, 2008, 03:26 AM
Everyone -CAN- leave. There is no excuse for 'not being able to just pack up and go'. What, do you have to work in the middle of a hurricane? School? No? Then you don't have an excuse. Injured? Can't afford it? Last I heard, the government had hundreds of buses lined up to get people out of there. If there's hundreds or thousands dead because of Gustav, I'm just going to think back to the residents' stubbornness and laugh at them. I'm in IL, we get a couple of bad tornados each year, and I go in the basement for them because I'm not a masochist retard. Go ahead and put your life at danger, though -- after all, you can always get another life at wal-mar...oh, wait.

thomashauk
September 1st, 2008, 03:34 AM
Not everyone can pack up and move like that. Really nice way to say that. But Katrina was bad because of the levys right? I'd think they fixed them somewhat. I thought they could hold up to a 3, and last I checked Gustav was a 3 or so. I mean I've been in FL for 20 years (I'm 22), and we get hurricanes too, but since we're sea level, not much flooding. I'm hoping the next two, Hana and whatever else, go either north.

It looks like it will hit land as a 4
Run. Now. Run as far as you can

mike1234
September 1st, 2008, 04:05 AM
Everyone -CAN- leave. There is no excuse for 'not being able to just pack up and go'. What, do you have to work in the middle of a hurricane? School? No? Then you don't have an excuse. Injured? Can't afford it? Last I heard, the government had hundreds of buses lined up to get people out of there. If there's hundreds or thousands dead because of Gustav, I'm just going to think back to the residents' stubbornness and laugh at them. I'm in IL, we get a couple of bad tornados each year, and I go in the basement for them because I'm not a masochist retard. Go ahead and put your life at danger, though -- after all, you can always get another life at wal-mar...oh, wait.

Share your feelings with the Group..........:)

M.

cardinals_fan
September 1st, 2008, 04:12 AM
I don't worry about hurricanes up here in Alaska :)

Good luck to everyone down on the Gulf Coast. Stay inside, and don't get decapitated by a wayward palm frond!

DemonBob
September 1st, 2008, 04:28 AM
From what i see so far i'm only going to get TS force winds, which is not all that bad. I just have a bad feeling that the storm might jog 30 miles to the east...if it does that...

Altarbo
September 1st, 2008, 05:16 AM
DemonBob:
Yeah, I'm here. North of Livingston. (We might be neighbours.) We got a brief storm here from eight to ten. I'm waiting for the next bands now.

This morning I helped some friends pack up all their clothes, flea bomb their house, flea their dogs, and get the kids/dogs to the grandmother. The friends are going out of town.

My mom doesn't get real effected by hurricanes, and didn't feel the need to prepare. I talked to her this morning and found out that she didn't feel the need to pick up nonperishable foods. Went out and picked up some jugs of water, canned fruit, canned meat, pop tarts. The stores were pretty hectic. Brought the food over to her house with an ice chest; filled her tupperware containers with water and tossed them in her freezer. (She didn't get extra ice either.)

I had a little extra time after cleaning my yard and got together with some friends to drive down 1019 and deserted I-12 at thirty miles an hour flying kites out the windows of a Lancer.

and...hurricane katrina has taught you nothing?Hurricanes don't effect the area where he lives very much. In Livingston (the parish between Baton Rouge and Hammond) the only places that will flood are on the rivers and near lake Maurepas. There's also little damage from winds. Livingston is heavily forested and mostly rural.

it's probably time we all just resign with the fact that new orleans is not a liveable city any more, and that it should only exist as a small-population port city.Not all of New Orleans floods the same way. The ninth ward is on the edge of New Orleans, on the other side of the industrial canal. The French Quarter, Business District, Marigny all will get flooded, but the water drains out. The areas that get the worst flooding started out as swamp land. The ninth ward specifically was drained, and sold to newly freed black people. The people who live there today are almost totally the descendents of those freed men. Their families could never afford to move out, so they stayed. That's why the ninth ward is so black.

Sorry for long post.:( I have trouble compacting my thoughts.

DemonBob
September 1st, 2008, 05:20 AM
DemonBob:
Yeah, I'm here. North of Livingston. (We might be neighbours.) We got a brief storm here from eight to ten. I'm waiting for the next bands now.

This morning I helped some friends pack up all their clothes, flea bomb their house, flea their dogs, and get the kids/dogs to the grandmother. The friends are going out of town.

My mom doesn't get real effected by hurricanes, and didn't feel the need to prepare. I talked to her this morning and found out that she didn't feel the need to pick up nonperishable foods. Went out and picked up some jugs of water, canned fruit, canned meat, pop tarts. The stores were pretty hectic. Brought the food over to her house with an ice chest; filled her tupperware containers with water and tossed them in her freezer. (She didn't get extra ice either.)

I had a little extra time after cleaning my yard and got together with some friends to drive down 1019 and deserted I-12 at thirty miles an hour flying kites out the windows of a Lancer.

Hurricanes don't effect the area where he lives very much. In Livingston (the parish between Baton Rouge and Hammond) the only places that will flood are on the rivers and near lake Maurepas. There's also little damage from winds. Livingston is heavily forested and mostly rural.
Not all of New Orleans floods the same way. The ninth ward is on the edge of New Orleans, on the other side of the industrial canal. The French Quarter, Business District, Marigny all will get flooded, but the water drains out. The areas that get the worst flooding started out as swamp land. The ninth ward specifically was drained, and sold to newly freed black people. The people who live there today are almost totally the descendents of those freed men. Their families could never afford to move out, so they stayed. That's why the ninth ward is so black.

Sorry for long post.:( I have trouble compacting my thoughts.

I'm currently at my mom's house in Holden, La. I live on Pumpkin Center Rd though. Yeah my family has toughed it out here for years. The only problem they ever had, was them telling me they had to use boats to get out in the flood of 83, which was the year i was born.

zmjjmz
September 1st, 2008, 05:33 AM
Not much to worry about up here in NJ, but our acting (awesome) governor has sent out some help to you guys.

DemonBob
September 1st, 2008, 09:17 AM
I'm patiently waiting for the 4 o'clock hurricane hunters update. Cought a couple of hours of sleep, woke up, put some red beans and rice cooking, and drinking a nice cold budwiser. My laborday is not going to waste :p

Bucky Ball
September 1st, 2008, 09:20 AM
Good luck. No predicting the power of nature but I hope all remain relatively unscathed (although that is doubtful). The radio over here is predicting 200+ kilometre an hour winds so a basement might be the go ... ;(

mips
September 1st, 2008, 09:31 AM
. I sure hope it goes more towards the west so it doesn't hit as many oil platforms.

Some are worried about lives, others seem to care more for oil

DemonBob
September 1st, 2008, 09:33 AM
Good luck. No predicting the power of nature but I hope all remain relatively unscathed (although that is doubtful). The radio over here is predicting 200+ kilometre an hour winds so a basement might be the go ... ;(

No such thing as a basement in Louisiana, the ground is to saturated with water, and they flood first thing.

SuperSonic4
September 1st, 2008, 02:33 PM
Some are worried about lives, others seem to care more for oil

Oil affects the whole world. Lives concern only the USA. I know it sounds harsh but it's true. After Katrina the price of oil rose throughout the world

Prefix100
September 1st, 2008, 02:41 PM
Oil affects the whole world. Lives concern only the USA. I know it sounds harsh but it's true. After Katrina the price of oil rose throughout the world

Who cares about oil? Really?

It'll run out in the next generation anyway.

The bigger picture is lives.

sailor2001
September 1st, 2008, 09:50 PM
feeder bands passing through now and with that comes tornadoes......however, hurricanes are beneficial...if no hurricanes, the great north land wouldn't become temperate and that would mean a sever winter in the north-east. And no I didn't evacuate...traveling is too difficult.

Mateo
September 1st, 2008, 10:02 PM
wow, be careful and good luck.

hanzomon4
September 2nd, 2008, 12:29 AM

Dude I've done this twice and I'm a young man, this is hard. You don't simply pack up and go on vacation! You got to worry about gas, your elderly grandparents who can stress a mountain out of it's mind, and little kids. The mental confusion alone is enough to cause fist fights. Lets not forget money, I'm poor as dirt. I can't afford to not get paid for even a week. Now I'm forced to go on a road trip!!!

I'd never stay in the path of a hurricane, but I'd never mock people who don't leave. I don't know what there situation is like so I can't just call them stubborn. My very old Grandparents won't leave for the next one because they're simply to old and tired to deal with evacuating, it's just very hard for some people.

toupeiro
September 2nd, 2008, 12:59 AM
:confused::confused: wow some people are just unbelievable...

Yeah, people seriously. If you've never been in a situation where an ENTIRE city is trying to use limited roadways to evacuate, please don't lecture the people who are dealing with this and their lives right now as if you know the best course of action... During Katrina, People died stranded on highways running out of gas trying to get out of the city. I don't know if you've been following the news the last few years, but Louisiana hasn't exactly recovered from Katrina, let alone had time to retrofit their roadways to allow for more emergency evacuation traffic. so unless you're going to magically open several service stations around the inland Louisiana highway routes, you can manage to be a little more sensitive to those who are choosing to stay behind.

Sending all affected my best wishes!

jflaker
September 6th, 2008, 12:52 AM
I too live in NEPA. Although we get a bunch of things (documented tornado's, remains of hurricanes, blizzards, etc) we don't get it to the extreme that much.

Yup, mostly on the Pocono plateau. Many winter storms kept me home from work and only 7 miles away the weather was, well, non-existent. About 2 yrs ago, I was hunkered down in my basement as a tornadic storm blew over......Destroyed a supermarket not too far from me.

DemonBob
September 8th, 2008, 03:15 AM
Well i surivied with no damage, just got lights on yesterday, and internet came back on a few minutes ago. Now i'm worried about ike, if it hits, i'm deffentally leaving.

hanzomon4
September 8th, 2008, 03:37 AM
I know isn't that freaky!!!!

This could really screw up my plans.....