PDA

View Full Version : any decent gtkmm tutorials out there?

p4plus2
August 31st, 2008, 08:34 PM
After a few hours of google I have given up on searches and come to ask the question to the ubuntu community, are there and good gtkmm tutorials out there?

notes:
1. I already installed gtkmm
2. gtkmm documentation sucks. bad.
3. I do not want to use a gtk+ tutorial(it just over complicates gtkmm and makes it hard to lean)
4. Google has not been nice to me today...

thank for the help in advanced!
~p4plus2

Lux Perpetua
September 1st, 2008, 12:10 AM
This is the only one I know: http://www.gtkmm.org/docs/gtkmm-2.4/docs/tutorial/html/index.html

I agree that generally, gtkmm documentation is quite poor.

p4plus2
September 1st, 2008, 01:06 AM
Thanks for your time.... *hits up google one more time* If anybody else has an idea please post it below.

nrs
September 1st, 2008, 01:52 AM
In what way do you find the gtkmm tutorials / documentation insufficient?

p4plus2
September 1st, 2008, 02:13 AM
I personally dislike the following factors:

1: lack of explanation in certain area while other over explained
2: lacks well explained examples of practical uses
3: generally it is a boring documentation that is down at the point

I can come up with more but I shall not bore all to death with my opinions and will proceed trying to find a better guide/tutorial.

nrs
September 1st, 2008, 02:37 AM
I personally dislike the following factors:

1: lack of explanation in certain area while other over explained
2: lacks well explained examples of practical uses
3: generally it is a boring documentation that is down at the point

I can come up with more but I shall not bore all to death with my opinions and will proceed trying to find a better guide/tutorial.

I agree with the first point. The second can only be determined on a case-per-case basis. As far the third, that's what a reference manual should be :-P

Opinion aside, however insufficient the official documentation, you're not going to find anything better, unfortunately. You can call it quits and look for a toolkit with better documentation (Qt). or you can stick with it and complement it by seeking out programmers experienced with the toolkit. gtkmm-list@gnome.org is invaluable in this regard, and I believe there are quite a few programmers here who are familiar with it, myself included. Falling back on the plain old GTK+ reference manual when all else fails works often too.

p4plus2
September 1st, 2008, 03:19 AM
Thanks for the advice, I suppose I will need to look into another toolkit.... What is another toolkit that is very well designed for C++? I have heard of QT before but is that the only other major one(by major I mean well supported and has examples out there)?

nrs
September 1st, 2008, 03:22 AM
Thanks for the advice, I suppose I will need to look into another toolkit.... What is another toolkit that is very well designed for C++? I have heard of QT before but is that the only other major one(by major I mean well supported and has examples out there)?

WxWidgets maybe, I don't recommend it though.

p4plus2
September 1st, 2008, 03:25 AM
QT it is then....Could you recommend any good QT sources? Also do you require any programs such as glade can be used for gtk? I prefer not to use such tools but if they are their I may as well at least know how for the just in case.