PDA

View Full Version : Speaker recommendations please.

nothingspecial
August 31st, 2008, 08:30 PM
So, I have all this music on my hard drive streaming to my fancy system in my living room and my not so fancy (but still pretty good) systems in my kitchen and bedroom.
But my pc is elsewhere. When I`m computerising I`m listening through the crappy inbuilt monitor speakers. I`m ready to spend, not too much but I want a good, rich, full sound, (or there`s no point having flacs). Don`t know anything about pc speakers, I need something small but that delivers. A bit like Bose but not that pricey if possible.

Thanks

Swarms
August 31st, 2008, 08:38 PM
Buy some secondhand speakers, get an amplifier (I took one from a car) and put a minijack cable adapter on it. Much cheaper and you will easily find much better sound.

OffHand
August 31st, 2008, 08:41 PM
I recommend the Logitech X-230 (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/home_pc_speakers/devices/208&cl=GB,en)

nothingspecial
August 31st, 2008, 08:41 PM
Yeah, I`ve been looking after posting. Is it the amplifier that matters most or the speakers?

OffHand
August 31st, 2008, 08:45 PM
Yeah, I`ve been looking after posting. Is it the amplifier that matters most or the speakers?

The speakers matter more but the amp is also important. I don't think you will be able to get a better sound than the X-230 with an amp + speakers if you do not have much to spend.

Swarms
August 31st, 2008, 08:54 PM
Again its about if you got the time for it, go to garagesales etc., and you will be able to find some magnificent speakers for peanuts. And no the amp is second priority, but again search and you will find a cheap/free one. Hook the system up, and compare the sound to one like the Logitec one in a store.

hessiess
August 31st, 2008, 09:17 PM
avoid 'pc' speckers and buy a propper amp and some 2/3 way spekers. to me, satalites+sub always seems to lack something.

And no the amp is second priority
err, no, priority's should be in this order.

source audio file -> sound card(digital to analogue converter) -> amp -> speakers -> specer positioning -> room shape -> listening location.

if your sound card sucks, how good the amp/speckers are is irelivent because you are feeding them rubbish. my amp is cheep, and everything sounds crap because of it.(garbage in, garbage out)

there is no such thing as 'small but delivers' bigger drivers are much better at reproducing lower tones than smaller ones.

terabyte1
August 31st, 2008, 10:22 PM
Get a good Sound card - such as by Creative. My speakers are by Creative also and are 7 way for surround sound (I used to do DJ'ing in my spare time) and did a stint on a pirate Radio ship once - Music is my thang turned up loud bass two points off the max - we have lift-off! My neighbours hate me when I go into 'memory-mode' and play my Hawkwind; Deep Purple; Status Quo; Whitesnake; Venom; Jam; Cream; Yes; Thin Lizzie albums; Oh I got more but this is a Linux Ubuntu Appreciation Society...:D

Terabyte:guitar::lolflag: