PDA

View Full Version : STACKING UP: Lumiera, Blender, GIMP, Ardour.

Sean4000
August 31st, 2008, 07:56 PM
I want to start a thread on the state of Linux's creative apps. This is meant to discuss the features, pitfalls, possibilities, and comparisons with commercial apps. As far as I can tell, the most potent Linux graphics/creative applications we have are the following: Lumiera, Cinelerra, GIMP, Blender, Ardour, DigiKAM, Cinepaint, Pixel, and Krita. If there are others I forgot please talk about them.

Now, how do they stack up against the competition?

Discuss.

Sean4000
August 31st, 2008, 10:06 PM
I just want to let everyone who is into Linux know that a new NLE is in the works and they need our help. I know Blu-ray support might be a to to ask in the nature of open source philosophy.

================================================== ==========

From the site: www.lumiera.org

"""""Lumiera is a Free/Open Source Non-Linear Editing (NLE) application project for Linux developed by the CinelerraCV community.
It was born as a rewrite of the Cinelerra codebase called Cinelerra3 but it is now an independent project with its own name.

Project objectives

To create, as a community, a non linear video editing and compositing FOSS application for Linux/Unix/Posix Operating Systems, suitable for professional and quality oriented work, building on common open source video, sound and GUI toolkits and libraries, providing flexibility and a high degree of configurability and full control of all parameters, but at the same time a smooth workflow which scales well to larger and more complicated editing projects.

Lumiera is still in an early stage of development. It is not usable yet."""""""

================================================== =======

Please join us on Facebook and Myspace too.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...9771291&ref=mf

================================================== =======

The Lumiera project also needs your help. We are in need of documenters, coders (internal testers), infrastructure work as in shell scripting and administration is in demand too. Please spread the word to everyone you think would be qualified and if you are interested, please contact me. As always visit www.lumiera.org for the latest information. Come join me on AIM: embryoniccineon or join the lumiera project on IRC.

Instructions:

Create a new acct under IRC pick a screen name. I connected with the server irc.freenode.org,

Then it'll ask you to verify your screen name. type /nick (your nickname) then to join lumiera channel its /join #lumiera

That's it.

Take care,
Sean Burns
"Sean4000"

Sean4000
September 5th, 2008, 12:31 AM
Okay, cool. Thanks for moving this to the appropriate thread. Sorry for the heat.

Twitch6000
September 5th, 2008, 01:16 AM
Edit: Nvm I double checked and was incorrect.

Lux Perpetua
September 5th, 2008, 01:51 AM
I want to start a thread on the state of Linux's creative apps. This is meant to discuss the features, pitfalls, possibilities, and comparisons with commercial apps. As far as I can tell, the most potent Linux graphics/creative applications we have are the following: Lumiera, Cinelerra, GIMP, Blender, Ardour, DigiKAM, Cinepaint, Pixel, and Krita. If there are others I forgot please talk about them.

Now, how do they stack up against the competition?

Discuss.Are you considering vector graphics applications? If so, I would certainly suggest Inkscape for your list. I don't know how it stacks up against competition, but I've been happy and even impressed with it.

Sean4000
September 5th, 2008, 05:25 AM
That was one of the programs I failed to list but one I am curious to have discussed on here in great detail.

Cinelerra 4 just got released and it has a native 64bit version which spikes my interest because of the power it would give HD editors looking for a speed boost.