PDA

View Full Version : I don't get the logic here...

L815
August 31st, 2008, 11:05 AM
Hmm, I'm trying to figure it out... But I can't :confused::confused:

NovaAesa
August 31st, 2008, 11:10 AM
Wow, that's confusing. Btw, I'm using the same (awesome) theme as you :P

Joeb454
August 31st, 2008, 11:12 AM
Very confusing ;) What theme is it that you're using?

pp.
August 31st, 2008, 11:13 AM
Presumably, it's just a bug. The video runs with Flash Player 9. Unless, of course, they are afraid that people living in the future are looking at their broadcasts.

BlueSkyNIS
August 31st, 2008, 11:15 AM
This happened to me many times...

L815
August 31st, 2008, 11:15 AM
The theme for those that requested is:
http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Shiki-Colors?content=86717&PHPSESSID=68e99db4ca31b5ffecb56214122b4aae

First time it happened to me. The message is what is making me fall out of my seat laughing (exaggerated of course)

NovaAesa
August 31st, 2008, 11:16 AM
Very confusing ;) What theme is it that you're using?
It's Shiki.

pp.
August 31st, 2008, 08:45 PM
I just realised that OP asked about the logic of it all. From the message in the screenshot we see:

- The required version is 8
- The installed version is 10
- The program declares 10 to be less than 8

The program apparently compares the version identifications as strings instead of numbers. Since strings are compared from left to right, the program compares '8' with '1'. '1' is less than '8', hence '10' (as string) is less than '8'.

This kind of error is quite common.

Kingsley
August 31st, 2008, 08:47 PM
I shot CNN an e-mail about that months ago. The response was they realize the issue and it'll be fixed soon...

JillSwift
August 31st, 2008, 08:48 PM
I shot CNN an e-mail about that months ago. The response was they realize the issue and it'll be fixed soon...And so CNN's logic continues to astound. Unless they mean "soon" on a geologic time scale.

mike1234
August 31st, 2008, 08:50 PM
Hmm, I'm trying to figure it out... But I can't :confused::confused:

Maybe because version 10 is still considered beta? Just a guess, I don't it's current status. Last time I downloaded it was.

M.

terabyte1
August 31st, 2008, 10:30 PM
What's hard with logic? 0 switches it off. 1 switches it on

Now that's Binary! Speed it up and source it through a filter like a CPU and several thousand transistors (oh pardon me) Chips, feed it through your monitor and you got - zilch (Ahem!) You do have to switch on the monitor y'know?

Its wonderful how it works almost Black Magic really....:D

terabyte:lolflag:

Prefix100
August 31st, 2008, 10:34 PM
yeah I also have the latest version of flash installed but the zero7 site says I need to update :/

hyperhopper
August 31st, 2008, 11:13 PM
Presumably, it's just a bug. The video runs with Flash Player 9. Unless, of course, they are afraid that people living in the future are looking at their broadcasts.

but then the people in the future could just get 8 or 9, OR they could just wait untill cnn fixed it to work for ten because they are in the future so they really wouldnt have to wait....

Mateo
September 1st, 2008, 01:16 AM
I just realised that OP asked about the logic of it all. From the message in the screenshot we see:

- The required version is 8
- The installed version is 10
- The program declares 10 to be less than 8

The program apparently compares the version identifications as strings instead of numbers. Since strings are compared from left to right, the program compares '8' with '1'. '1' is less than '8', hence '10' (as string) is less than '8'.

This kind of error is quite common.

I doubt it's even that complex. More likely I bet that it discovers that the installed version is not compatible with version 8 and assumes the installed version to be older.

pp.
September 1st, 2008, 06:56 AM
I doubt it's even that complex. More likely I bet that it discovers that the installed version is not compatible with version 8 and assumes the installed version to be older.

I have version 9, and it accepts that. I presume that it accepts version 8 as well. Hence, the string comparison hypothesis would fit the available facts best, I think.

A great many software products produce strings when asked about their version IDs.

MaxIBoy
September 1st, 2008, 07:16 AM
CTHUGA did the same thing, it said I needed to upgrade to D3D version 4.