PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can i have Vista and ubuntu in my desktop

manoindia2020
August 31st, 2008, 08:04 AM
I have installed Vista Ultimate in my pc. But i am interested in working with ubuntu. Can i now install ubuntu and make my pc work with dual OS.
Becoz i heard that vista boot loader dont allow for dual os.
Can some one help me....
In fixing this...

jolx
August 31st, 2008, 08:05 AM
yes u can by using the grub bootloader

henryjm206
August 31st, 2008, 08:08 AM
hey I'm dual booting ubuntu and vista and it works just fine
I used the ubuntu live CD
Henry

manoindia2020
August 31st, 2008, 08:09 AM
Now i have working vista in my pc...
if i now insatll ubuntu will it affect vista???

jolx
August 31st, 2008, 08:11 AM
check this (http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_linux_vista_installed_f irst.htm) out

ubuntu wont affect vista if u install it correctly. u need to make sure u dont format vista's partition when u install ubuntu

manoindia2020
i dont want to work with live CD ..
I want it to be booted from my hard disk....

henryjm206
no it shoudn't

henryjm206
August 31st, 2008, 08:14 AM
you can install ubuntu from the live disk just boot up from the live CD and there will be an install icon on the desktop

jolx
August 31st, 2008, 08:17 AM
i dont want to work with live CD ..
I want it to be booted from my hard disk....

wat?

before it just magically appears on your hard drive you need to install it. you can install it via the 'live cd' which will give you a graphical way of installing it, or the 'alternate cd' which will give u a framebuffer environment to install it from

pastalavista
August 31st, 2008, 10:24 AM
You can load Ubuntu (live CD) with Windows (Wubi) and it will install like a program without any formatting at all and can be easily uninstalled by Windows at any time. If you decide to dual boot, be sure to shrink your Windows partition first (with the Windows drive management tool) and leave your drive with at least 5 gigs (more is better) of "unallocated space" then Ubuntu will automatically (after you choose "manual" and check the right options) install in a new partition that it creates in that empty space. Good luck. It's really pretty easy.

(make the "mount point" of the new partition "/"... disregard the quotes.. and the parentheses)

Sef
August 31st, 2008, 01:08 PM
If you need to shrink Vista, be sure to use its partitioner to shrink it.

gjoellee
August 31st, 2008, 01:15 PM
if you install virtual box in Windows you can use both systems together (without a virtual machine window!!!)