PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] flash and mp3?

shao
August 31st, 2008, 07:31 AM
Hey guys first and foremost let me say, I'm a newbie to Linux and I love It!!!
Except for one little issue I have, you see when I start my computer let's say I watch a video, after that I can't listen to mp3's or if I listen to my music after that I cant watch flash videos.

I have Ubuntu Hardy 64 and a HPdv6000

tuskenraider
August 31st, 2008, 08:17 AM
yeah i have noticed if you go to a site like youtube.com in firefox and then try to use another application like pidgin or a mp3 player the sound doesnt work. i have found that if you close firefox... the sound returns.. idk why it does this.. but it just does.. oh and this was for 8.04.1 fully updated. one of the strange oddities that is ubuntu.

tusken

p.s its still better than windoze or a sharp stick in the eye!! :lolflag:

minky311
August 31st, 2008, 09:50 AM
When both of you go to system->preferences->sound what is selected as your playback device in all of those fields.

shao
August 31st, 2008, 06:44 PM
Alsa

wolfen69
August 31st, 2008, 07:46 PM
sudo apt-get install libflashsupport

minky311
August 31st, 2008, 08:20 PM
Press Alt and F2 type in gstreamer-properties and then press run.
Then proceed to change the device and press test to see if you can hear anything. If you can then try opening up more than one program playing sound and see if that works. Repeat this with each device listed.

tuskenraider
August 31st, 2008, 11:54 PM
Press Alt and F2 type in gstreamer-properties and then press run.
Then proceed to change the device and press test to see if you can hear anything. If you can then try opening up more than one program playing sound and see if that works. Repeat this with each device listed.

:):) and presto change-o it now works for me!!!!!
yay!! i changed from autodetect to alsa... and now i can youtube and use pidgin. yay!!!

such a minor thing... sound.... but when it doesnt work its annoying.. i appreciate the help!!

emshains
September 1st, 2008, 05:55 AM
I've never experienced any sound glitches with firefox/flash, thought this may occur when you open Rhythmbox at the startup.