PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual-boot Won't - Boot Loader MIA

mxcrowe
August 31st, 2008, 03:10 AM
I just put together a new system for my daughter (EVGA e7050/610i; e2200; 2x1GB OCZ RAM; 2 80G IDE hard drives) and installed Windows XP first. Then I installed Ubuntu 8.04.1 with the hopes of dual-booting the machine. XP lives on the C: drive (Disk 0). I split the second drive (D:, Disk 1) into 2 partitions during the Ubuntu install, so that there is a ~40GB NTFS partition, plus space for Linux. Ubuntu made a 36gb partition plus a 1.6GB swap partition. All this shows up in the disk management console from XP.
The install of Ubuntu went fine, but when I boot the system, it provides me with no boot menu and XP loads automatically. Can anyone tell me how to modify things so that I can choose to boot to Ubuntu or XP?

Pumalite
August 31st, 2008, 03:16 AM
If you are installing in different drives; search: Dualboot Two Hard Drives in this Forum.
If not; post:
sudo fdisk -lu
(Boot your Live CD)

cdtech
August 31st, 2008, 03:20 AM
Boot into the Live CD.

When you get to the desktop open a terminal and enter:

sudo grub
This will give you a "grub" prompt, type:

$ grub > find /boot/grub/stage1
This will return the location of the stage1 file. Whatever was returned from the find command use it in the next command:

$ grub > root (hd?,?)
Again use the value from the find command i.e. if find returned (hd0,1) then you would enter root (hd0,1)
Next enter the command to install GRUB to the MBR (of the primary drive):

$ grub > setup (hd0)
This installs GRUB to the MBR of the primary drive (hd0).
Exit grub:

$ grub > quit

mxcrowe
August 31st, 2008, 03:50 AM
Thanks guys. I followed all the above advice. First I went thru the grub exercise using Live CD, then after reviewing other posts, went into BIOS and switched the HD boot order. That gives me the boot menu and both O/S's show up. Thanks for the help!!