PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Very Odd Ubuntu Installation Failure

Jinkzt3r
August 30th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Hey guys,
Sorry to bother but, after mulling over whether or not to install Ubuntu or not.. I decided too (largely a gamer, was not sure how it would affect game play), thanks to 1. Cedega and 2. Dual Boot.

Anyways, here is what happened.

I have two hard drives, one 200gb and one 80gb.

I was going to install Ubuntu on my 80gb hard drive and keep Windows on the 200gb.

Some things went wrong with the 80gb hard drive and me trying to install Ubuntu on it so I said eff it, I'll try my original hard drive that currently has Windows on it... so..I pop in my burned CD of Ubuntu 8.04 and tremble with glee as I see the initial set-up screen. After pressing enter to immediately install Ubuntu with out trying it out it, it switched over to a load screen..it sat on this load screen for 5-10 minutes.. but after 5-10 minutes it just showed an odd assortment of colors on my screen that kind of looks like the "snow" affect you see on a television set with a bad antenna.

Would any one happen to know why this is? I've burned three different CDs, and even burned one at 1x speed to help reduce the chance of getting errors while it was copying over.
(Although I used ISO Recorder, not the one you guys mention in your Help files).

Should I attempt InfraRecorder and see what results I get or is this beyond my control?

Thanks again for taking the time to help,

Jinkzt3r

Windows XP
Intel Pentium D CPU
1 GB of RAM

Update::

I tried running Ubuntu from the CD while in Windows.. after reboot and selecting to run Ubuntu I get this message...

31.248253 MP-Bios Bug 8254 timer not connected to IO APIC
and after a loading screen this is what shows ( the snowish effect I was talking about, looks a little different from this picture though)

http://img528.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img00018ql3.jpg

(Fairly large resolution, sorry)

Hope this helps some

cariboo
August 30th, 2008, 10:58 PM
You need to start the livecd in safe graphics mode, to do this press F4 at the menu screen and select safe graphics mode then hit enter, and you should be good to go,

Jinkzt3r
August 30th, 2008, 11:01 PM
You need to start the livecd in safe graphics mode, to do this press F4 at the menu screen and select safe graphics mode then hit enter, and you should be good to go,

Alright, thanks. Is that all lol? I figured that was like starting in safe mode for Windows, or comparable.

Trying now, thanks again ^_^