PDA

View Full Version : whats your attitude towords non linux comaptable hardwere?

hessiess
August 30th, 2008, 07:42 PM
if a device dousent work on Linux natively, its useless, get rid of it.

what's yours?

FuturePilot
August 30th, 2008, 07:44 PM
I don't buy it in the first place. :)

toupeiro
August 30th, 2008, 07:45 PM
I usually do my homework a little deeper than that, and if I cannot support it on linux, I won't spend my money on it if there is an alternative choice that does work on linux. If its truly unique, then I will be willing be the guinea pig.

EDIT: Future beat me to the punch :P

hessiess
August 30th, 2008, 08:06 PM
I don't buy it in the first place. :)

I usually do my homework a little deeper than that, and if I cannot support it on linux, I won't spend my money on it if there is an alternative choice that does work on linux. If its truly unique, then I will be willing be the guinea pig.

EDIT: Future beat me to the punch :P

ofcorse that's what I would do when getting something new, the poll was focused more towards something you owned before switching ;) ,

damis648
August 30th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Get rid of it. Get something else.

blastus
August 30th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Don't buy it.

jespdj
August 30th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Don't buy it. If it's a device I already have, get rid of it.

Example: I had a Microsoft VX-3000 webcam, which could not be made to work properly with Linux. I gave it to my dad (a Windows XP user) and bought a Logitech webcam which works out-of-the-box.

Tom--d
August 30th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Don't buy it.
But if I had it already before I moved to Linux.. I would wait till there (might) be support. If not. Replace it with something which does work :)

insane_alien
August 30th, 2008, 08:41 PM
i use linux pretty much exclusively. it would be too much bother and cost to migrate over to windows. far more than just swapping out the component with a linux friendly one.

billgoldberg
August 30th, 2008, 08:41 PM
I keep non-compatible hardware somewhere in the basement.

You never know if you can do someone a favor with it some day.

Tzimisce
August 30th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Depends, there are several PC's working in my household, only one (mine) runs linux. So I would probably not pitch the device until it was no longer necessary.

y6FgBn)~v
August 30th, 2008, 08:44 PM
I wouldnt buy it if it didnt work. If I already had it and it didnt work I would give it to someone who could use it. If no one wanted it I would discard it.

jflaker
August 30th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Lexmark is one of those manufacturers.

Bought the printer figuring is "SHOULD WORK" in Linux only to find out it is not only supported, but Lexmark basically told me "thanks for buying that printer and you now have a $90 paperweight"

From now on, HP or Brother printers and the type is dependent on research before purchase

AndyCooll
August 30th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Difficult one to answer since all my stuff works with Linux. And these days I only buy Linux compatible hardware.

Even when I made the switch all my stuff worked. I guess if it hadn't worked I'd have ditched it unless it was extremely important, and in which case I'd have initially tried the VM option.

:cool:

karellen
August 30th, 2008, 10:17 PM
I wouldn't buy it in the first place, of course. it's more likely to find Linux compatible hardware then not anyway

gabhla
August 30th, 2008, 10:31 PM
If it don't work in Linux, it won't work at all here. We use only Linux.

LookTJ
August 30th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Don't buy it if the hardware doesn't support all platforms.

init1
August 31st, 2008, 03:24 AM
I'll keep it, but buy a new one when I can. My current laptop is OK with Linux, but wireless doesn't work too well with it. Wireless works in Hardy, but I've been having a lot of problems with Hardy. I bought it before I new much about Linux. My first Linux experience was so good, that it didn't occur to me that some computers wouldn't work well with it. The next laptop I get will come with Linux preinstalled, so hopefully hardware support won't be an issue.

-grubby
August 31st, 2008, 03:26 AM
Well, if you have an incompatible device, why not sell it and buy a compatible one?

init1
August 31st, 2008, 03:53 AM
Well, if you have an incompatible device, why not sell it and buy a compatible one?
Yes, but in my case, I don't know what the issue is.

LaRoza
August 31st, 2008, 05:56 AM
I wouldn't buy it in the first place, of course. it's more likely to find Linux compatible hardware then not anyway

+1

I don't buy hardware that doesn't work. That would be silly.

However, I once bought a piece of hardware (webcam) I suspected wouldn't work out the box and I was looking forward to tweaking and trying to get it to work.

It didn't turn out so well, it worked out of the box.

JillSwift
August 31st, 2008, 07:33 AM
I voted "chuck it", but I've not actually had to to that. I got very lucky, every last device I owned worked. Most right away, one or two took some tweaking.

zachtib
August 31st, 2008, 07:43 AM
I'll generally do my homework before I buy any piece of hardware, and only buy Linux-compatible products, even if it's going in a Windows machine (because all of my boxes eventually wind up running Linux)

barbedsaber
August 31st, 2008, 08:08 AM
I don't buy it if it isn't going to work, if I already have it, I chuck it, or give it. I love buying thumb drives, I look for one that says works with linux kernel 2.4 or higher (there is always one) and buy that one. I know that they will all work, but they did the test, they put the word linux on the box, they made another sale.

jespdj
August 31st, 2008, 08:35 AM
However, I once bought a piece of hardware (webcam) I suspected wouldn't work out the box and I was looking forward to tweaking and trying to get it to work.

It didn't turn out so well, it worked out of the box.
Try a Microsoft webcam (see my post above), that'll keep you busy... ;) ](*,)

HermanAB
August 31st, 2008, 08:48 AM
I don't use incompatible hardware. It would be quite pointless to keep something that doesn't work plugged in and using power.

clanky
August 31st, 2008, 10:18 AM
It would depend on what the hardware was, how much I needed / wanted it and whether there was an alternative that would work with Linux.

If it was something that was hugely important to me and I could not find a decent alternative which worked with Linux then i would just run it in Windows. I already do this with certain software which won't run in Linux and does not have a suitable Linux alternative.

For me the end justifies the means, I look at what I need my computer to do and then go for the best way to do it, starting off with the principal that you are only going to use one particular OS and limiting yourself to only allowing your computer to work within the limits of that OS seems really silly.

chris4585
August 31st, 2008, 10:20 AM
I was thinking more of the lines of.. dont buy it, their lose