PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Gefore 9600gt where are the drivers ?!??!?!

circusmonkey
August 30th, 2008, 03:58 AM
why is it Ubuntu 8.04 hardy does not work with geforce 9600 gt cards , no matter what I do nothing works .....envy packages , ubuntu packages Ive tried the lot.

at the current rate of time I am spending just trying to get ubuntu running I could of bought 1 mac book pro , which actually works out of the box without all the headaches

and now when I go to the package manager I get

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

lol ....... awesome

asenine
August 30th, 2008, 04:09 AM
If you're asking for drivers, just ask for it and don't have a BAWWWWWWWWWfest.

Have you tried

sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-new

?

tuxxy
August 30th, 2008, 04:13 AM
sudo dpkg --configure -a

circusmonkey
August 30th, 2008, 04:21 AM
Nice try, they don't work ....nor does envy. You cannot even uninstall the glx_new without a good ole bug coming up and if you have a duel monitor set up , well thats another whole world of pain

I find it beggars belief a consumer card sold by the millions cannot work out of the box with ubuntu ....

gruvsyco
August 30th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Weird, I thought the restricted drivers thing was because I was running SLI. Anyways, I have 2x 9600GT and this is what's worked over several install this last week.

sudo apt-get remove envyng-gtk
sudo envy --uninstall-all
sudo dpkg -P envy
sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia*
sudo rm /lib/restricted-modules/.nvidia*
sudo nvidia-installer --uninstall

sudo apt-get install build-essential

Download the nvidia drivers (http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_173.14.12.html) (that's the 32 bit as of today) from their site... 64bit (http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_amd64_177.13.html)

In nautilus, right click the file, properties, permissions. Check allow executing file as a program. Under Basic, I also renamed the file to nvidia.run... just makes it easier to type in later.

make sure you have the header files and restricted modules for your current kernel installed.

sudo gedit /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common

find the line that says:
DISABLED_MODULES="" and change it to:
DISABLED_MODULES="nv"

save and close.

Close everything. (Firefox, pidgin, etc.)

ctrl+alt+F1 to get a console and log in.

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop

this will kill your X session

go to where ever you downloaded your driver (default is /home/*username*). You may already be in that directory. If you renamed your file like I did above then:

sudo ./nvidia.run

answer yes to everything that it prompts.

reboot.

REMcCain
August 31st, 2008, 04:28 AM
I find it beggars belief a consumer card sold by the millions cannot work out of the box with ubuntu ....

Looks like Vista isn't the only release with serious issues...