PDA

View Full Version : udev doesn't run my script

tinwelint
August 30th, 2008, 12:46 AM
Hi I'm setting up a backup script as discussed in this thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=558413.

I've written a script for doing backups with rdiff-backup, and want to do it automatically every time I plug in my external HD.

Everything seems to work except the execution of my script through an udev rule. This is my setup:

/etc/udev/rules.d/59-autobackup.rules

KERNEL=="sdc[0-9]*", SYSFS{serial}=="10000E0009C24E5E", RUN+="/usr/local/bin/test.sh"

I'm using a simple script just for testing and it works well from the terminal:

/usr/local/bin/test.sh

#!/bin/bash

X11User=`who | grep :0\) | cut -f 1 -d ' '`
if [ -z "$X11User" ] ; then
exit
fi

export DISPLAY=":0.0"
export HOME="/home/$X11User"

sudo -u $X11User zenity --info --title "Rdiff-backup" --text "Running!" --height 100 --width 200

But running the udev-daemon in verbose mode and plugging my drive in gives this:

[14769] node_symlink: creating symlink '/dev/disk/by-label/aj-ext' to '../../sdc1'
[14769] run_program: '/usr/local/bin/test.sh'
[14769] run_program: '/usr/local/bin/test.sh' (stderr) 'This option is not available. Please see --help for all possible usages.'
[14769] run_program: '/usr/local/bin/test.sh' returned with status 255
[14769] pass_env_to_socket: passed 877 bytes to socket '/org/freedesktop/hal/udev_event',

I really don't know what causes this.

jinksys
August 30th, 2008, 02:42 AM
Does the script work if you change this line?

sudo -u $X11User zenity --info --title "Rdiff-backup" --text "Running!" --height 100 --width 200

sudo -u $X11User zenity --info --title "Rdiff-backup" --text "Running\!" --height 100 --width 200

Also, does the udev process have the rights to sudo to $X11User without a password?

mssever
August 30th, 2008, 04:51 AM
Try calling set -x near the top of the script; that way you can see where the script is failing.

tinwelint
August 30th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Ok, setting set -x gives:

[9078] node_symlink: creating symlink '/dev/disk/by-label/aj-ext' to '../../sdc1'
[9078] run_program: '/usr/local/bin/test.sh'
[9078] run_program: '/usr/local/bin/test.sh' (stderr) '++ who'
[9078] run_program: '/usr/local/bin/test.sh' (stderr) '++ grep ':0)''
[9078] run_program: '/usr/local/bin/test.sh' (stderr) '++ cut -f 1 -d ' ''
[9078] run_program: '/usr/local/bin/test.sh' (stderr) '+ X11User=aj'
[9078] run_program: '/usr/local/bin/test.sh' (stderr) '+ '[' -z aj ']''
[9078] run_program: '/usr/local/bin/test.sh' (stderr) '+ export DISPLAY=:0.0'
[9078] run_program: '/usr/local/bin/test.sh' (stderr) '+ DISPLAY=:0.0'
[9078] run_program: '/usr/local/bin/test.sh' (stderr) '+ export HOME=/home/aj'
[9078] run_program: '/usr/local/bin/test.sh' (stderr) '+ HOME=/home/aj'
[9078] run_program: '/usr/local/bin/test.sh' (stderr) '+ sudo -u aj zenity --info --title Rdiff-backup --text 'Running\!' --height 100 --width 200'
[9078] run_program: '/usr/local/bin/test.sh' (stderr) 'This option is not available. Please see --help for all possible usages.'
[9078] run_program: '/usr/local/bin/test.sh' returned with status 255

Don't really understand what this means either. Maybe the password is needed. How should I supply it in that case?

lswb
August 30th, 2008, 03:22 PM
udev rules run scripots with root permission, they are not running on any X session or tty.

Try removing sudo from the lines beginning with zenity, and adding this option to the end of those lines:

--display=':0'

This will open the zenity popup on the 1st X session display. I'm pretty sure there is a way to designate the "active" display, should there be more than one X session running, but I don't know offhand how to do that. Something to do with "console owner" maybe.

tinwelint
August 30th, 2008, 04:12 PM
using:

--display=':0'

gives me:

[9755] run_program: '/usr/local/bin/test.sh' (stderr) '+ zenity --info --title Rdiff-backup --text 'SKriptkör\!' --height 100 --width 200 --display=:0'
[9755] run_program: '/usr/local/bin/test.sh' (stderr) 'No protocol specified'
[9755] run_program: '/usr/local/bin/test.sh' (stderr) ''
[9755] run_program: '/usr/local/bin/test.sh' (stderr) '(zenity:9758): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0'

Maybe the display has som other name? Don't have time to look into that right now though.

lswb
August 30th, 2008, 04:19 PM
The leading single quote was left out of ':0' in your line.

tinwelint
August 30th, 2008, 11:29 PM
Actually, it wasn't.
This is my script (in full):

#!/bin/bash
set -x

zenity --info --title "Rdiff-backup" --text "Running!" --height 100 --width 200 --display=':0'

And this is the output:

[11329] node_symlink: creating symlink '/dev/disk/by-label/aj-ext' to '../../sdc1'
[11329] run_program: '/usr/local/bin/test.sh'
[11329] run_program: '/usr/local/bin/test.sh' (stderr) '+ zenity --info --title Rdiff-backup --text 'Running!' --height 100 --width 200 --display=:0'
[11329] run_program: '/usr/local/bin/test.sh' (stderr) 'No protocol specified'
[11329] run_program: '/usr/local/bin/test.sh' (stderr) ''
[11329] run_program: '/usr/local/bin/test.sh' (stderr) '(zenity:11332): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0'
[11329] run_program: '/usr/local/bin/test.sh' returned with status 1

Is it treating the quotes in some strange way perhaps? I've tried both single (':0'), double(":0") and no (:0) quotes, always with the same result.

I'm going trekking in the scottish mountains and won't be able to investigate this further for two weeks.
Thanks for your help so far.

lswb
August 31st, 2008, 12:56 AM
Man, that sounds like a great vacation!

I'm looking at the line you just posted and again, the error is lack of leading quote. You posted:

zenity --info --title Rdiff-backup --text 'Running!' --height 100 --width 200 --display=:0'

that should be --display=':0'

lswb
August 31st, 2008, 03:16 AM
I was looking into this problem some more because I thought it would be useful for some scripts on my own system. After playing around with zenity some, it appears to me that it will not display a popup on another user's desktop, even if run by root. I don't know if this is designed into zenity itself or the underlying libraries.

However, I found a program called dnotify, available in the repositories, that can be run by a user, no udev rules required. It can run a command whenever the contents of a specified directory change in a specified manner. There are some similar programs you can find by searching for keywords like "notify" in synaptic. A command could be put in your .profile or added to Main Menu/System/Preferences/Session/Startup

Something like

dnotify -M /path/to/directory -e scriptname &

or just put the zenity command directly in the place of "scriptname" above if that will suffice. The -M option tells dnotify to run the command if any files in the directory are modified, other options are for file renaming, removal, creation, etc.