PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] (OSS) System sounds work, but I get no sound from any vidoes (flash or other)

javaikky
August 29th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Edit : I accidently put this in the wrong section! sorry. Is there any way for me to move this ? Or should I post fresh in the multimedia forum .

I'm fairly new to the Linux side of the world, but I've been heavily involved with IT, and Windows for many years, and I consider myself above average in just about everything but Linux lol.
I don't usually like to have to ask for help, but I'm completly stumpped and don't know what to do.

I am using 8.04 and I have an XI-FI extreme audio card, and rather than go with Alsa, using OSS seemed to be the easier path.

My first 8.04 install went very well, I had the sound work in just about everything but .WMV. I had all my applications from work running ( Remedy, Lotus Notes 8.01, Juniper network connect ect) with no problems.

However, during my quest to get WMV files to play correctly, I inadvertently screwed something up and broke my sound completely.

With nothing left to do, I backed up, and reinstalled the OS.

I proceeded just as before, installed OSS, went through all the configs described in this article "http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=4874981&postcount=2".

I did nothing different from the first time, but for some reason I can get no sounds while playing any video. Not Flash, or any other format.

I've scoured these forums, but I have been unable to find any solution, at least not one I am able to understand.

I've tried multiple players, VLC, MPlayer, Gnome Mplayer, Totem, Kaffiene, Movie Player, etc but nothing is working.

I go to system/preferences/sound/ and I set everything to auto detect, and everything will test out ok .

However I do notice, that OSS is not in the list. I find this very odd, as if I select any of the options aside from auto detect, the test will fail .

Please if at all possible help me.

I have completely made the switch to Linux, and I haven't looked back till now.

Any info/advice is greatly appreciated.

Either way, anyone who reads this post have a great holiday, and try not to eat to much on Monday.

Kind Regards,

Mike

PS: I did replace the libaudio file with the OSS version.

iaculallad
August 30th, 2008, 01:17 AM
Had you tried installing the Restricted codecs?

Add the Medibuntu Repository:

sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/hardy.list -O
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list

now, add the keyring:

sudo apt-get install medibuntu-keyring && sudo aptitude update

Install Flash:

sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

Install codecs:

sudo apt-get install w32codecs

the DVD packages:

sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2 libdvdread3 libdvdnav4

You might be needing to install the flash plugin wrapper: