PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to launch AWN on startup?

stat30fbliss
August 29th, 2008, 10:28 PM
I see all of these great screens of AWN on systems with a smooth look and feel, and tons of apps pre-loaded. I guess I have some AWN-envy. When I take a look at preferences, I am not seeing any options to set AWN to auto launch when my laptops starts-up. You know, OSX style.

Till now, I will launch AWN off of my desktop after startup, then using it to manage my already launched windows and progs. I would love to utilize more of the program has to offer.

Any Help?

Heres a quick screenshot

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x52/stat30fbliss/Screenshot.png

CJ56
August 30th, 2008, 12:20 AM
The way to get AWN to start up automatically is to go to

System> Preferences> Sessions

In Sessions Preferences go to the Startup Programs tab, click the Add button, in Name type: Avant Window Navigator; in Command type: avant-window-navigator then click OK

It should launch automatically when you start up

If you want more applets & extras go to http://wiki.awn-project.org/Awn_Extras:Installation and follow the link to the AWN Testing Team. For some reason Ubuntu has AWN in the repositories, but not the applets bit of it...

Hope this helps

stat30fbliss
August 31st, 2008, 05:51 PM
That is rather helpful, thank you.

My next question is, how do I auto program apps to launch immediately with awn, so it will launch awn on startup with Firefox, Thunderbird, Office, etc.

Thanks!

CJ56
August 31st, 2008, 07:41 PM
It should be straightforward, assuming that AWN is correctly installed -

Just drag the icon of the application you want from the Applications menu & drop it onto the AWN dock. You can also do this with some of the things in the System menu, such as the Nvidia Settings control

You can move the applications around within AWN by right-clicking on the dock and getting Dock Preferences> Launchers> Launcher Preferences

Hope it works... ;)

stat30fbliss
August 31st, 2008, 08:48 PM
Yes, I noticed that when I drag-&-Dropped items in, they stayed in after reboot.

That is perfect.

One step closer to world domination!):P

EnGorDiaz
August 31st, 2008, 10:58 PM
Yes, I noticed that when I drag-&-Dropped items in, they stayed in after reboot.

That is perfect.

One step closer to world domination!):P

not quite yet my friend cairo dock is one step closer :P

EnGorDiaz
August 31st, 2008, 11:05 PM
look at this desktop

stat30fbliss
September 1st, 2008, 06:26 AM
look at this desktop

OOOooh. I like it. I just started hearing about Cairo, but most reviews I have seen still put AWN ahead in reliability and usability. That shows a more fluid and connect animation though.

Why do you prefer Cairo?

EnGorDiaz
September 1st, 2008, 10:23 AM
OOOooh. I like it. I just started hearing about Cairo, but most reviews I have seen still put AWN ahead in reliability and usability. That shows a more fluid and connect animation though.

Why do you prefer Cairo?

comes with everything preinstalled its great all plug ins everything AWN is just gay

EnGorDiaz
September 1st, 2008, 10:26 AM
its overrated

EnGorDiaz
September 1st, 2008, 10:29 AM
it took a hole day to search around on the internets for one plug in for AWN one plug in!! you would think they had better support but no its just overrated you may aswell use launchy

stat30fbliss
September 2nd, 2008, 08:59 PM
Where can I get Cairo, and what is the best way to install it. I looked through the add programs list, and didn't see it. Should I just d/l it off the net? I am not as confident in installing components I am unfamiliar with if the manager isnt handling it.

What is the Terminal Command to get cairo.

listerdl
February 15th, 2009, 11:02 PM
By the way - just to add, if you need the command code to launch any application, use ALT + A2 - that opens up command box then ubuntu will auto-guess you typing...you can copy and paste the correct command for awn-mamanger.

Cairo sounds cool id like to check that out too!