PDA

View Full Version : sick and tired...

lovhorror
August 29th, 2008, 09:33 PM
of how this looks. anybody have any good links to tutorials or anything at all that can make ubuntu look better, something more sleek and visually pleasing? it looks nice, but still just so...idk how to describe it. i'm getting bored.

Kernel Sanders
August 29th, 2008, 09:42 PM
http://www.gnome-look.org/

t0p
August 29th, 2008, 09:52 PM
For a long time I used the Human theme. I know some folk think it's brown n boring, but I liked it. But just lately I decided it was time for a change. Now I got bluebuntu, with bits of clearlooks and the tango icons. Still not the most exciting gui in the world, but I like it.

lovhorror
August 29th, 2008, 09:55 PM
http://www.gnome-look.org/

Gnome looks is garbage.

pp.
August 29th, 2008, 09:58 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=875964

finer recliner
August 29th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Gnome looks is garbage.

try KDE4 then. that have a heavily revamped desktop environment. a lot of people also say that enlightenment is the most attractive environment. give it a try.

swoll1980
August 29th, 2008, 10:05 PM
try KDE4 then. that have a heavily revamped desktop environment. a lot of people also say that enlightenment is the most attractive environment. give it a try.

gnome is great you can make it look any way you want don't listen to the sales pitches

lovhorror
August 29th, 2008, 10:09 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=875964

<3

SunnyRabbiera
August 29th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Gnome looks is garbage.

huh?
there are a lot of colorful themes on there if you look hard enough.
Also the default themes in Ubuntu can be customized if you know how to.

RiceMonster
August 29th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Gnome looks is garbage.

?

You must not like GTK at all then. It's the best place to get GTK themes. Try out SlicknesS. That's a really nice GNOME theme. Don't forget to use the icon theme it suggests as well.

wolfen69
August 29th, 2008, 11:54 PM
of how this looks. anybody have any good links to tutorials or anything at all that can make ubuntu look better, something more sleek and visually pleasing? it looks nice, but still just so...idk how to describe it. i'm getting bored.

i hear microsoft windows is highly configurable :shock:

lovhorror
August 30th, 2008, 05:22 AM
huh?
there are a lot of colorful themes on there if you look hard enough.
Also the default themes in Ubuntu can be customized if you know how to.

I know how but it gets old quick.

lovhorror
August 30th, 2008, 05:32 AM
?

You must not like GTK at all then. It's the best place to get GTK themes. Try out SlicknesS. That's a really nice GNOME theme. Don't forget to use the icon theme it suggests as well.

my new favorite. thanks

hanzomon4
August 30th, 2008, 07:54 AM
My setup looks pretty sweet.

Compiz with the elements/firefly plugin + Animated Dawn of Ubuntu wallpaper + kickass gtk & icon theme

swoll1980
August 30th, 2008, 08:21 AM
i hear microsoft windows is highly configurable :shock:

+1

joninkrakow
August 30th, 2008, 08:26 AM

Just do "sudo apt-get install xfce4" and install the xfce desktop. It is quite attractive out of the box, and comes with some attractive themes. I suspect you will like the Ubuntu rendition of it.

-Jon

swoll1980
August 30th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Just do "sudo apt-get install xfce4" and install the xfce desktop. It is quite attractive out of the box, and comes with some attractive themes. I suspect you will like the Ubuntu rendition of it.

-Jon

There's a lot of things that are different in xfce besides the way it looks
It behaves completely different than gnome

joninkrakow
August 30th, 2008, 01:44 PM
There's a lot of things that are different in xfce besides the way it looks
It behaves completely different than gnome

Yes, but do you view that as a bad thing? Personally, I find xfce even closer to the simple elegance ideal than gnome. I don't want to say it's more like the Mac OS, because it isn't in that it doesn't mimic the Mac, but it is in that it keeps the interface simple yet powerful and accessible. I like xfce, esp. the xubuntu version of it. (me, the hypocrite, writing this post in gnome) ;-)

Yes, it's different in several ways, and more attractive out of the box, too IMO. :-D

-Jon

chucky chuckaluck
August 30th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Gnome looks is garbage.

with the insane amount of variety there, one could conclude that you just don't like what computers look like. if that's the case, why not use something like openbox where all you'd look at would be a wallpaper of your own choosing and whichever apps you use? if you use mostly terminal apps in an emulator that allows you to use and image as a background, this would allow you to use your computer with minimal interference from the theming which you don't like.