PDA

View Full Version : Getting my first Ubuntu computer soon!

Bridge51
August 29th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Hi! I just ordered an Asus EEE 901 (20 GB Linux Version), and it will be my first linux machine. I previously have been a PC user, also running OS X for the last 10 months. Have my macbook recently been stolen, I've opted to try out another operating system.

I'm going to be installing the EEE version of Ubuntu (I hear the Xandro version sucks).

Just wanted to say hi, as I'm sure I'll be on here soon enough asking questions :-D Any advice for a new Ubuntu user? I'm fairly tech savvy, but I never got into any programing, save a short course in college last year. Thanks, and hello again!

- Bridge

Johnsie
August 29th, 2008, 08:05 PM
The Xandros version is ok if you tweat it a little. I posted a howto on the eeuser forums explaining how to install gnome:

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=2009&p=3

Once you have gnome on there it feels like Ubuntu.

However, I have found that the Ubuntu repositories are more up-to-date than the Xandros ones and have a better selection of software. I would definitely move to Ubuntu if Ubuntu used less disk space.My eeepc only has 4gb and Ubuntu pretty much fills that :-(

Just experiment until you have a system that you like... I've tried a few different flavours of Linux to see which ones work best.

Eees are great little machines.

Bridge51
August 29th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Thanks for responding :-)

the EEE i'm getting has 2 SSD's, a 4gig and a 16gig. i'm expecting (and have read that) the 4gig holds the OS and 16 gig is for personal files/apps. In the even that I need more space (this isn't my main computer, mostly playing around, getting to know linux, and internet/office) I've also bought a 16 gig SDHC card and a 16 gig USB flash drive. My desktop has a 250 gig HDD, and i have a 320 gig external WD HDD. I'm pretty set on disk space :-).

I think the version of ubuntu i'm looking to install is actually Xubuntu? it's from the www.eeeubuntu.com website. suposedly fixes all the issues with switching to ubuntu for the eee's

EDIT: I appreciate your link to your how-to. I'll definitely read it and hopefully be able to use it to make my system awesome.

And as a side note, as stupid as i know it will be, i'm putting in a 2gb ram stick and attempting to run WOW on the 901 through wine :-p it's going to be hilarious

zmjjmz
August 29th, 2008, 09:44 PM
It would be better if you got a lighter version of eeebuntu, like eeeXubuntu.

MaxIBoy
August 29th, 2008, 09:49 PM
From what I've heard, it's best to start with vanilla Ubuntu and then tack on Xfce, as Xubuntu is more bloated than pure Xfce.

This is all hearsay, though.

zmjjmz
August 29th, 2008, 11:13 PM
From what I've heard, it's best to start with vanilla Ubuntu and then tack on Xfce, as Xubuntu is more bloated than pure Xfce.

This is all hearsay, though.

If you're going to do that, you might as well install LXDE.

wolfen69
August 29th, 2008, 11:58 PM
why not download and try out the ubuntu live cd first? that way it wont be such a shock.

Warpnow
August 30th, 2008, 12:23 AM
XFCE does not really have much lower system requirements for acceptabvle use than gnome, it just tends to run "faster" on most systems, from my experience.

I tried XFCE on a pentium 2 and the system was crippled.

MaxIBoy
August 30th, 2008, 12:24 AM
why not download and try out the ubuntu live cd first? that way it wont be such a shock.

+1, definitely do that. Boot off a CD to get used to the interface.

Word of warning, liveCDs run many times slower than a real installation, usually have lower screen resolutions, and take longer to boot.

Woormy
August 30th, 2008, 01:03 AM

I don't think the Eee 901 has an CD drive. He might need instructions to try it off a flash drive.

jespdj
August 30th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Maybe it would be interesting to install Ubuntu Netbook Remix (http://www.canonical.com/netbooks) on it, a version of Ubuntu especially made for netbooks such as the Eee PC.

Also see these (not about Netbook Remix):
http://www.ubuntu-eee.com/index.php5?title=Main_Page
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu-eee

Bridge51
September 2nd, 2008, 12:53 PM
Thanks to everyone who has responded so far! Your input is all greatly appreciated.

I have made a Live CD already actually, and tried on my desktop PC. I had problems with my wireless USB card, so I couldn't test out the package manager (which, I know, is a huge part of Linux), but I got a chance to get a feel for the OS a little bit.

I actually have Unetbootin on my PC (and will put it on my new computer) and am going to make a bootable flash drive of the ISO I have for the distrobution from www.ubuntu-eee.com

Thanks again!