PDA

View Full Version : Which compiler for C++ do you use under Linux?

Shadowmeph
August 29th, 2008, 05:40 PM
I might be asking the question Wrong a while back I was using windows and started reading the book C++ primer third edition and would do the exercises using Bloodsheds Dev-C++ 4 compiler I am now a strict Linux user and since I am going to restart teaching myself C++ again I am wondering which compilers/texted editors others are using because I am doubting that the bloodshed Dev C++ compiler text editor combination will work in Hardy So any suggestions would be helpful for a beginer like me

nrs
August 29th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Dev-C++ isn't a compiler, it's an IDE that utilizes mingw, a Windows port of GCC.

LaRoza
August 29th, 2008, 05:58 PM
The sticky answers all your questions.

g++ for the compiler (gedit + plugins for editor, you can use it from the terminal plugin)

Or any IDE of your choice.

ilrudie
August 29th, 2008, 06:22 PM
gcc/g++ is the way to go.

happysmileman
August 29th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Generally all C++ compiling is done with g++, and all C compiling is done with gcc, it's the standard, I don't even know of any others for Linux except the Intel compiler (which AFAIK costs money).

Dev-C++ uses a windows port of g++ anyway, so you'll basically be using the same compiler that you were using on Windows, but I think it may perform better on Linux and get more updates.

Shadowmeph
August 29th, 2008, 06:31 PM
The sticky answers all your questions.

g++ for the compiler (gedit + plugins for editor, you can use it from the terminal plugin)

Or any IDE of your choice.

ok well I have gedit and the gedit-plugins installed and I can open it by typeing ( in terminal) gedit but what about the g++ acoring to my synaptic pacage manager it is installed but I am not sure how to load it up
Oh and By the way Thank you for helping/pointing me in the right dirrection

signifer123
August 29th, 2008, 06:34 PM
You could also look at KDevelop. It's pretty much the linux version of Visual Studio.
VDK Builder I never tried. And GNOME has Ajunta..
And Eclipse works on both platforms.

Open a terminal, and call 'g++ sourcefile'
It will save the output to a.out, add '-o outputname' to change what the executable is saved to.

You should probably become familiar with makefiles as well.

I personally use GEdit and a terminal though.

dfreer
August 29th, 2008, 06:39 PM
ok well I have gedit and the gedit-plugins installed and I can open it by typeing ( in terminal) gedit but what about the g++ acoring to my synaptic pacage manager it is installed but I am not sure how to load it up

Kate and notepad++ are both great text editors you can use when writing your code, I prefer them over gedit.

mike_g
August 29th, 2008, 06:41 PM
I am sure the answer to that must be in the sticky. something like:
sudo aptitude install build-essential
then tpo compile:
g++ myprog.c
to run:
./a.out

ilrudie
August 29th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Generally all C++ compiling is done with g++, and all C compiling is done with gcc, it's the standard

There is some confusion here. Many people believe gcc stands for the gnu c compiler but these days its actually the gnu compiler collection. One of the compilers in the collection is g++ and it can be invoked by calling gcc on a .cpp file.

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.3.2/gcc/G_002b_002b-and-GCC.html#G_002b_002b-and-GCC

LaRoza
August 29th, 2008, 07:57 PM

Oh, in the menu's "gedit" is labelled "Text Editor", so you can use that.

If you are going to use the Terminal Plugin, make sure the bottom pane is visible.

To use g++, see the sticky for a step by step guide.

I see this is becoming a "what IDE" thread with people giving random recommendations. The sticky has text editor and IDE thread, contribute to that.

jespdj
August 29th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Another nice, small and easy editor / IDE is Geany (http://geany.uvena.de/).

LaRoza
August 29th, 2008, 10:23 PM
I see this is becoming a "what IDE" thread with people giving random recommendations. The sticky has text editor and IDE thread, contribute to that.

Another nice, small and easy editor / IDE is Geany (http://geany.uvena.de/).

Yes, I know. It is in the thread about IDE's!

raedbenz
August 29th, 2008, 10:30 PM
try NETBEANS.
it works fine for on Ubuntu

StOoZ
August 29th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Using g++ compiler, with the latest Netbeans IDE :guitar:

jimi_hendrix
August 29th, 2008, 10:43 PM
i use gedit with plugins for fast use then i use geany for debugging because it highlights where the errors are then i use g++ for compiling in terminal because i cant get geany's exicute thing to work

LaRoza
August 29th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Everybody, read what I wrote. It is silly to go over what is already in a list in an easy to find thread!

If the thread is missing information, please contribute to it.

samjh
August 30th, 2008, 01:34 AM
I might be asking the question Wrong a while back I was using windows and started reading the book C++ primer third edition and would do the exercises using Bloodsheds Dev-C++ 4 compiler I am now a strict Linux user and since I am going to restart teaching myself C++ again I am wondering which compilers/texted editors others are using because I am doubting that the bloodshed Dev C++ compiler text editor combination will work in Hardy So any suggestions would be helpful for a beginer like me

You can use Gedit. In Gnome, go to Applications -> Accessories -> Text Editor.
(In Kubuntu, use Kate. See the KDE menu.)

I highly recommend installing and enabling the Terminal plugin. Install using this command in the terminal:
sudo apt-get gedit-plugins...and then enable the plugin in Gedit by going to Edit -> Preferences -> Plugins -> tick the Embedded Terminal box. Then enable the bottom panel, by going to View -> tick Bottom Pane.

To use g++, you need to install the build-essential package:

sudo apt-get install build-essential

Here's an example on compiling a program using g++, assuming that your source file is myprogram.cpp, and you're in the same directory as that file:

g++ myprogram.cpp -o myprogram...this will produce an executable file named, myprogram.

I've lost count how many times I've posted these instructions. ;)