PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about the community structure

jianggw@bsw.net.cn
November 15th, 2005, 06:49 AM
Hello,everyone!After reading the information on http://www.ubuntulinux.org/community/processes/newmember,I have the following questions about the community structure.Thank you for your answer and help!

1.If want to be a member,membership need to be appointed. maintainers need to be appointed,too?

2.what is the difference between 'ubuntu maintainers' ,'ubuntu developer' and 'ubuntu members'?

3.Is the leader of each team appointed by community council or self-appointed?

4.Who is the chairman to Community Council ?sabdfl?

5.the attachment is a structure chart of community drawn by me.Is it correct?

majikstreet
November 15th, 2005, 09:56 PM
sabdfl= mark shuttleworth.

az
November 15th, 2005, 11:00 PM
Hello,everyone!After reading the information on http://www.ubuntulinux.org/community/processes/newmember,I have the following questions about the community structure.Thank you for your answer and help!

1.If want to be a member,membership need to be appointed. maintainers need to be appointed,too?

2.what is the difference between 'ubuntu maintainers' ,'ubuntu developer' and 'ubuntu members'?

3.Is the leader of each team appointed by community council or self-appointed?

4.Who is the chairman to Community Council ?sabdfl?

5.the attachment is a structure chart of community drawn by me.Is it correct?

That link is dead.

Try this:
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/community/processes/

The diagram is not correct. But it is fairly well explained in the above link.

jianggw@bsw.net.cn
November 16th, 2005, 02:27 AM
sabdfl= mark shuttleworth.

then mark shuttleworth=chairman to community council ?

jianggw@bsw.net.cn
November 16th, 2005, 02:40 AM
That link is dead.

Try this:
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/community/processes/

The diagram is not correct. But it is fairly well explained in the above link.

I have studied the above link carefully,but still cann't understand well.Who can give us a correct diagram?Thanks!

TravisNewman
November 16th, 2005, 04:51 AM
Maintainers maintain packages, members can decide on some things. Mark Shuttleworth is the commander in chief (or sabdlf, self appointed dictator for life).

The diagram is way off but I'm not sure you can really make a diagram.

jianggw@bsw.net.cn
November 16th, 2005, 06:31 AM
Maintainers maintain packages, members can decide on some things. Mark Shuttleworth is the commander in chief (or sabdlf, self appointed dictator for life).

The diagram is way off but I'm not sure you can really make a diagram.

Do you mean that maintainers may not be members?
Can you help me draw a correct one?

lerrup
November 16th, 2005, 11:45 AM
I'm no expert, but I think that the key to understanding this is that people may wear more than one hat; in other words the titles are non-exclusive. Therefore one can be a member and a developer

az
November 16th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Members can help determine the general direction that the community takes. The community council meets and discusses community issues involving the Code of Conduct, loco teams, events, -governance of the people that make up the ubuntu community. If you contribute to that community, you can become a member.

On the technical side, you have the equivalent body called the technical board. They meet and discuss technical issues, like how certain problems should be solved and so forth. Developers and maintainers are under the direction of the technical board.

Kyral
November 16th, 2005, 04:35 PM
Do you mean that maintainers may not be members?
Can you help me draw a correct one?
Quite the contrary, you have to become a member before you can become a maintainer

jianggw@bsw.net.cn
November 18th, 2005, 08:31 AM
Who can draw a correct one?

Burgundavia
November 18th, 2005, 09:34 AM
An Ubuntu member is somebody who has contributed to Ubuntu in some way, regardless of type.

A maintainer is an Ubuntu member that works on packaging for Ubuntu.

The Community Council approves members
The Technical Board approves members and approves MOTUs to become main uploaders.

Is that clearer?

Corey