PDA

View Full Version : Is Windows Mobile good?

jeyaganesh
August 29th, 2008, 03:52 PM
I am waiting for Sony Ericsson's Xperia. But I never used Windows mobile before. Is it good?

gjoellee
August 29th, 2008, 03:54 PM
one of my buddies have one, they seam OK actually, which kinda makes me feel wird:???:

ilrudie
August 29th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Its OK. I liked it more when I first got it. Its gotten progressively slower and buggier as the months have gone by and I'm starting to wish I just got a black berry or something else.

Orlsend
August 29th, 2008, 04:55 PM
I better than the User interface that they have in Iphones, Althoug the easiest OS is the Palm OS I only seen two Sonny ericsson running it

jeyaganesh
August 29th, 2008, 04:57 PM
I am fan of Sony Ericsson. My first two phones were Sony Ericsson's T610 and V600. But they are not potentially making mobile phones nowadays. Then I bought Nokia N95. I am ok with that. But Nokia has no touch screen phones. So far I used Symbian's UIQ and S60 OS. I am bit sceptic about Window Mobiles OS because of their Windows PC OS.

zmjjmz
August 29th, 2008, 06:28 PM
As far as I've heard it's OK, but not great and that it sucks in the long run (that's experience actually).
It may be possible to install Android on the phone later on.

lazerradial2003
August 29th, 2008, 06:34 PM
I've been using WM6 on an XDA Orbit 2 for the past four months and don't have too many complaints. It's not all that touch screen friendly, improved vastly by something like SBP mobile shell which makes 90% of operations easy without the use of a stylus. All in all its been pretty good.

Sand & Mercury
August 29th, 2008, 06:37 PM
I've tried it, thought it was really quite good. I'm not familiar with any other mobile OSes though, so I couldn't say how it compares.

damoxc
August 29th, 2008, 06:46 PM
It degrades just like real windows. I wouldn't recommend it. I've almost launched my phone at a wall a number of times in frustration because of it, deleting messages, keypad freezing, getting progressively slower. that sorta stuff.

Majorix
August 29th, 2008, 06:51 PM
I have a 1&1/2 year old mobile phone working on Windows Mobile (an IPAQ to be exact), but I am not very happy with it.

It usually locks up, and like in the Desktop Windows, you have to restart to get it to work again.

It's hell of a problem getting it to even be recognized by Linux.

I am waiting for iPhone to come to my country :)

Wiebelhaus
August 29th, 2008, 07:07 PM
No , I had a family of three come in need of repair for their blackjacks , windows media player doesn't work nor is there a fix , they can hardly get the stupid thing to do anything but make a call and even that takes 2 minutes to do.

wait_for_android.

jeyaganesh
August 29th, 2008, 08:27 PM
It degrades just like real windows. I wouldn't recommend it. I've almost launched my phone at a wall a number of times in frustration because of it, deleting messages, keypad freezing, getting progressively slower. that sorta stuff.

Oh, thats why I am hesitating about windows mobile. I feel it is bad move by sony ericsson.

karellen
August 29th, 2008, 08:51 PM
I think the best mobile OS is Symbian

Giant Speck
August 29th, 2008, 08:59 PM
I have a Blackjack II Wine Red with Windows Mobile 6.0 installed on it and I have to say it isn't a bad mobile OS. I am angry, though, that Windows Mobile 6.1 has been out for the Blackjack II for months now and AT&T still does not offer an upgrade to it. But at the same time, new Blackjacks come with Windows Mobile 6.1.

Oh, and Mobile Internet Explorer sucks. I'm actually running a beta of a really awesome new mobile browser called Skyfire. I highly recommend that you try that browser if you do decide to go with Windows Mobile.

klange
August 29th, 2008, 09:09 PM
The OS itself? Speaking only from experience with the old WM2003SE - no complaints.

However, the available software is limited, almost always not-free (as in beer, much less as in speech), and is rarely of an acceptable quality.

I wish my hardware (iPaq rx3715) was better supported by OpenEmbedded projects like Angstrom, however, my WiFi, Bluetooth, and camera fail to function, and I had to build everything from scratch (and my kernel didn't even boot, had to get an old image).

ilrudie
August 29th, 2008, 10:12 PM
I have a 1&1/2 year old mobile phone working on Windows Mobile (an IPAQ to be exact), but I am not very happy with it.

It usually locks up, and like in the Desktop Windows, you have to restart to get it to work again.

It's hell of a problem getting it to even be recognized by Linux.

I am waiting for iPhone to come to my country :)

Yeah I had problems like that too. Now I'm like a normal desktop windows user and I proactively reboot my phone every night.

Majorix, Could you post some info on how you got Linux to see your wm phone? I havn't even begun to play with it because thankfully my mac and the missing sync have been able to handle my contact backups but I'd certainly be interested in knowing about syncing to my Linux box at home and at work.

Excedio
February 10th, 2009, 02:16 PM
I use the Motorola q9c myself. I love my since the day I bought it, so I got my wife one too. We went with Windows Mobile instead of another OS because of the Windows Media Player. The company that I work for is the pioneer of Videomail for the deaf & hard of hearing community.

Videomail is the exact same thing as voicemail for the hearing community, except that it's video. Since my company uses the WMV file type, Windows Mobile was the only way to go. When/if we finally move to MPEG4...we will upgrade to iPhones. I'll upload one to youtube and post the link here so you all can see what I mean.

P.S...When it someone going to come out with a badass Linux phone?

Excedio
February 10th, 2009, 02:22 PM
And here is that link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VM7f82ybKI

This was before out video platform was upgraded at the beginning of this year, so the quality of the video is not as good as it is today.