PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual Boot and some virtualization questions

karuzo
August 29th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Hello all,
I have a laptop with one internal hard drive dual boot windows and ubuntu partitioned accordingly, where windows is on the main partition. Unfortunately I MUST use windows for about 2-3 programs where I need to utilize the graphic card in full (something as I understand virtualization won't provide at the moment).
Anyway, I am running out of hard drive space for both OS's.
Instead of upgrading to a bigger internal hard drive (really don't want to go through re-installation of ubuntu and re-configuration as I have it at the moment), I'd like to increase the partition for ubuntu, eliminate windows off the hard drive. Is it possible at this state to run windows xp off an external usb hard drive? From researching I found that windows 'requires' first partition?
I am going to try the essential windows application under virtual box, but unfortunately I don't even have room to install them there.
Virtual box related question (that possibly will determine if I can ditch windows all together). Anyone who owns a blackberry - is it possible to have virtual box (or even any commercial-grade virtualization software) to recognize usb and blackberry in particular?
Thanks,
Doron

karuzo
August 31st, 2008, 06:17 AM
Anyone?

checkit
September 7th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Hi karuzo,

I'm not sure what you mean by Windows "requiring first partition". In my case, I installed Ubuntu first on my machine, and then installed Windows 2000.

According to the VirtualBox manual, it's possible to use USB devices with the guest operating system (requires extra configuration though). I am in the process of setting up VirtualBox, so I haven't been able to confirm this yet.