PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Suggest applications for KDE for ubuntu 8.04

ranjithnair
August 29th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Plz suggested the applications required for KDE environment as I am using both Gnome and now KDE..

timcredible
August 29th, 2008, 02:19 PM
you can run kde apps in gnome and gnome apps in kde.

ranjithnair
August 30th, 2008, 01:33 AM
Can I use the applications which were available in default ubuntu installation in KDE....?:guitar:

irrdev
August 30th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Can I use the applications which were available in default ubuntu installation in KDE....?:guitar:
Absolutely yes! Any program that you install in linx is available for use in any desktop environment, whether it is Gnome, KDE, or XFCE. All you'll need to run Gnome applications are the GTK+ libraries, but this will already have been installed for you. :)

Zorael
August 30th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Gnome programs, which use the GTK window framework, need to load those libraries into memory to be able to display properly, so if you're on a *very* tight memory budget you may want to consider keeping to one window framework, but then you'd be using a lighter environment than Gnome/KDE (which are fairly equal in that department). KDE is based on the Qt framework.

You needn't worry. KDE themes all GTK programs properly; you'll only notice some disrepancies in the UI.

To be nit-picky, KDE programs' looks are generally very consistent, which your Gnome programs will differ from. Again, a minor detail. File dialogs (open/save/etc) will also look different and have different bookmarks.