PDA

View Full Version : I think opera 9.51 run better than firefox

evertsfnic
August 29th, 2008, 02:07 PM
I think opera 9.51 runs much, much better in ubuntu than firefox.
Firefox is kind of slow and when you are scrolling the page it stop and freeze the image. With opera everything goes smoothly and very fast.
That's just my opinion and i am not trying to make span.

what do you think guys.....

:popcorn::popcorn:

Joeb454
August 29th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Moved to Cafe

Titan8990
August 29th, 2008, 02:27 PM
The only Firefox that I don't like is version 3 for Hardy. Only browser I have used under any OS that has displayed fonts on certain websites messed up.

But anyways, IMO Konqueror is the best browser.

clinux
August 29th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Current version of opera is 9.52. And yes i believe that it's better than FF.

evertsfnic
August 29th, 2008, 02:33 PM
yeah, me too. So i am not the only one who think this.
and the look is great, visual effect i like so much..............

Dragonbite
August 29th, 2008, 03:21 PM
I was using KDE before and so used Konquerer most of hte time and Firefox was held onto for its broader compatibility.

Now that I moved to Gnome I have been thinking of adding Opera. Now I am more interested in bringing Opera into the mix.

jeyaganesh
August 29th, 2008, 03:21 PM
I use Flock 2 Beta. It is useful for tracking my Flickr account. It looks cool.

nicolaary
August 29th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Firefox 3 has something wrong. I also downgraded to Firefox 2.0.0.16..
On kde4 it was simpliy a disaster..

What they have done?? I can not understand!

Anyway we have Konqueror and Opera .. Two good alternatives.. :-)

Canis familiaris
August 29th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Opera has great features, is considerably light. That is why I also like Opera.

bro
August 29th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Don't touch the Big Taboo!

Opera is most definitely better. Much better then FF3. This appears to be a bit of taboo however. I had some serious (!) problems with firefox's javascript performance. Google it. As if it doesn't exist.

I tested it over and over again. Javascript animations on firefox 3 eat your whole processor and still don't run smoothly. The web is full of things like jQuery so firefox becomes hardly use-able on such sites.

Any other browser - without ff's goodwill - would have been smashed and reviewed cripple. IE7 in a virtual machine runs animations 10x better, as does Opera. And strangely enough so does firefox 2 + 3 on a windows virtual machine. I asked around but got no response...

For the first time in my live I'm considering to let out features of a website because of Firefox instead of IE6.

In december FF 3.1 should give dramatich performance boost to js though.

Bungo Pony
August 29th, 2008, 04:12 PM
There's been something wrong about the latest batch of browsers. FF crashes when I'm on youtube, but Opera barely works on youtube. Also, Opera seems to quit communicating with the internet if it's open for a long period of time. Not good for torrents :(

The Windows version of Opera seems to crash just about as much as IE.

sydbat
August 29th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Personally, I have not had any problems with FF3. However, Opera is still the better browser. I just wonder if they will ever put it into the repos.

danbuter
August 29th, 2008, 04:19 PM
I tried out Opera, and I liked it. But I could find no way to block ads, so I'm back on Firefox.

danbuter
August 29th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Personally, I have not had any problems with FF3. However, Opera is still the better browser. I just wonder if they will ever put it into the repos.

Go into synaptic preferences to the source repos and turn on the partner repo. It's there.

Orlsend
August 29th, 2008, 05:02 PM
I used Opera int he past it dint impresed me in any way, wle the built in torrent thing was cool. but in my Opinion FF along with Fasterfox add-on runs smother than Opera, And we have to remember that FF is Open Source while Opera is not, Its just freeware and not to long ago they used to charge people for using Opera.

Aruhn
August 29th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Opera runs a lot faster than firefox, but it lacks a little bit about Pop Ups and Javascript.
Nonetheless I use only Opera, it is astounding that Opera a internet suite program is (with eMail, Torrent ... ) and firefox does have it not. :)

billgoldberg
August 29th, 2008, 05:28 PM
I think opera 9.51 runs much, much better in ubuntu than firefox.
Firefox is kind of slow and when you are scrolling the page it stop and freeze the image. With opera everything goes smoothly and very fast.
That's just my opinion and i am not trying to make span.

what do you think guys.....

:popcorn::popcorn:

I find the opposite to be true.

I guess it depends from machine to machine.

--

I like the new Opera.

The only turn offs for me are: no gtk support, closed-source and no decent add-ons.

I do like the speeddial thing they have. I use it on firefox (add-on).

And also like the plus sign Opera uses to open a new tab.

If such a add-on for firefox exist, please pm me with the link to it.

Dragonbite
August 29th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Opera runs a lot faster than firefox, but it lacks a little bit about Pop Ups and Javascript.
Nonetheless I use only Opera, it is astounding that Opera a internet suite program is (with eMail, Torrent ... ) and firefox does have it not. :)

If you want Firefox with eMail and such, maybe look at SeaMonkey?

happysmileman
August 29th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Now that I moved to Gnome I have been thinking of adding Opera.

I don't get the logic behind this, Opera uses Qt as a toolkit so I'd have thought it'd be better on KDE than Gnome.

Not sure if it's on topic, but is there any way of disabling IRC/Torrenting/Mail in Opera, I like it (don't have it installed but probably will after reading this thread :P) but don't like the idea that it loads up all those features I don't use each time.

Npl
August 29th, 2008, 07:48 PM
I don't get the logic behind this, Opera uses Qt as a toolkit so I'd have thought it'd be better on KDE than Gnome.

Not sure if it's on topic, but is there any way of disabling IRC/Torrenting/Mail in Opera, I like it (don't have it installed but probably will after reading this thread :P) but don't like the idea that it loads up all those features I don't use each time.
Aslong as you dont setup a mail/irc Account you wont notice Opera has those features. And you can setup Opera do use external programms with bittorrent there (opera:config#BitTorrent|Enable)

LaRoza
August 29th, 2008, 07:50 PM

Those features don't take up any memory if you are not using them. Even if you use them, it doesn't take much. (It is basically just an empty tab, with no activity. The only thing that would result in any memory usage is if you actually use them. If you aren't using them, they don't take up any memory) If you don't set up accounts, it won't use them at all.

Opera isn't Fx.

(Opera 9.52 is the current version, and it is very good.)

gjoellee
August 29th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Firefox 3.1 is supposed to be up to 7times faster!

Unicast
August 29th, 2008, 09:01 PM
I tried out Opera, and I liked it. But I could find no way to block ads, so I'm back on Firefox.

Right-Click on an empty part of the page containing unwanted Ads, click "Block Content", and then click on the offending Ads and click "Done". :cool:

Edit: I was quite sceptical about Opera 9.5x, but having tried it I really like it.

Warpnow
August 29th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Tools -> Advanced -> Blocked Content

Opera has ad-blocking built-in.

evertsfnic
September 4th, 2008, 05:38 AM
I like opera and i am doing my best to spread the voice.......
Thanks all of you for answerring. "sorry for my englihs"

SomeGuyDude
September 4th, 2008, 05:42 AM
Runs better? I'd agree. I think it's smoother, faster, the latest version's light on the resources, and it renders fonts better.

Is a better experience for the user? Now I'd say no. It's like driving a car with a great top speed, amazing suspension, smooth steering, but the wheel and the controls are poorly made.

LaRoza
September 4th, 2008, 05:48 AM
Runs better? I'd agree. I think it's smoother, faster, the latest version's light on the resources, and it renders fonts better.

Is a better experience for the user? Now I'd say no. It's like driving a car with a great top speed, amazing suspension, smooth steering, but the wheel and the controls are poorly made.

I don't drive a car, but I don't see what that anology is supposed to mean.

It seems you don't like the interface. I see no problems with it. The tools menu is very easy to use and everything is laid out logically.

SomeGuyDude
September 4th, 2008, 05:54 AM
I don't drive a car, but I don't see what that anology is supposed to mean.

It seems you don't like the interface. I see no problems with it. The tools menu is very easy to use and everything is laid out logically.

What I mean is that everything under the hood IS better, but it doesn't make the jump for the user.

It's not an illogical layout, per se, but the fact is that I can't alter it to my liking. I know I keep harping on the same thing, but it's true. I got rid of the menubar in Firefox, I added a Google toolbar, I put media controls in the statusbar. You can't do any of these things in Opera that I've found. There's no way to fundamentally change the appearance or behavior.

I keep saying this but I feel like it gets ignored because there's no way to reconcile this. Yeah, you can approximate things like Adblock, but it's not enough for me.

Oh, and the lack of GTK integration doesn't help. I love unity.

LaRoza
September 4th, 2008, 06:18 AM
There's no way to fundamentally change the appearance or behavior.

Of most things. For most things one doesn't need to. If its interface isn't your cup of chai, I guess that makes sense for you not to use it.

I keep saying this but I feel like it gets ignored because there's no way to reconcile this. Yeah, you can approximate things like Adblock, but it's not enough for me.

Well, then Opera isn't a choice you'd want then.

Oh, and the lack of GTK integration doesn't help. I love unity.
It uses QT. It is unified. It is one well working browser. I like it when apps don't make un-needed demands. Give them their libraries and they work. I use QT and GTK apps (and others) without any issues. I don't like unity. I like things to stand alone without interfering with each other so I can run them in my wm (which is xmonad)

SomeGuyDude
September 4th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Of most things. For most things one doesn't need to. If its interface isn't your cup of chai, I guess that makes sense for you not to use it.

That's the thing though. Firefox's default interface isn't great either, but via extensions I can change it. Scrap the menubar, combine the stop and reload buttons, slap media controls in the statusbar, integrate Google's toolbar. It can be customized GREATLY. If Opera had this functionality I'd be using it now.

This is why, in other threads, I've said that Opera fell behind. The "extension" idea made Firefox instantly huge. Lots of browsers have tabs, Opera technically functions better as a browser. So why is it so far behind in usage? I give a lot of credit to extensions, which really, REALLY let the users mess with how the browser acts in a way IE and Opera simply don't do.

It uses QT. It is unified. It is one well working browser. I like it when apps don't make un-needed demands. Give them their libraries and they work. I use QT and GTK apps (and others) without any issues. I don't like unity. I like things to stand alone without interfering with each other so I can run them in my wm (which is xmonad)

That's just preference, but it's definitely a reason Opera has to work extra hard to impress me. I scrapped Audacious because it didn't blend in with my desktop either.

LaRoza
September 4th, 2008, 07:32 AM
That's the thing though. Firefox's default interface isn't great either, but via extensions I can change it. Scrap the menubar, combine the stop and reload buttons, slap media controls in the statusbar, integrate Google's toolbar. It can be customized GREATLY. If Opera had this functionality I'd be using it now.

It is interesting, I have been using the same Opera theme since I started using Opera http://my.opera.com/community/customize/skins/info/?id=644

When I upgrade, I keep the same .opera so it is always the same to me. I heard people complaining about Opera's new default theme (but had never seen it) and I turned it on to see what it was. It was very different!

I don't use anything other than the address bar (Opera's search feature is my third favourite feature, and Firefox doesn't have anything like it) and mouse gestures (and the view bar, for in page searches and for disabling CSS and images) so the buttons and menu's are all gone for me.

That's just preference, but it's definitely a reason Opera has to work extra hard to impress me. I scrapped Audacious because it didn't blend in with my desktop either.
Out of curiosity, what is the setting apps have to blend into? Perhaps a screenshot of your Firefox? Just curious, as you seem more interface oriented (which is an important aspect of usability).

SomeGuyDude
September 4th, 2008, 07:52 AM
It is interesting, I have been using the same Opera theme since I started using Opera http://my.opera.com/community/customize/skins/info/?id=644

When I upgrade, I keep the same .opera so it is always the same to me. I heard people complaining about Opera's new default theme (but had never seen it) and I turned it on to see what it was. It was very different!

I don't use anything other than the address bar (Opera's search feature is my third favourite feature, and Firefox doesn't have anything like it) and mouse gestures (and the view bar, for in page searches and for disabling CSS and images) so the buttons and menu's are all gone for me.

Two things:

1) What search feature are you referring to? If you mean searching from the URL bar, you can definitely do it. I do it constantly. There's no "g [whatever]" syntax, but it works regardless.

2) How did you remove buttons and menus? That would go a LONG way in helping me out here. Like I said, I'd like to know how to do things I like in FF and that's a big 'un.

Out of curiosity, what is the setting apps have to blend into? Perhaps a screenshot of your Firefox? Just curious, as you seem more interface oriented (which is an important aspect of usability).

I use GNOME and every app is GTK. For reference, here's a screenshot of Firefox, Pidgin, Sonata, an IM window, and a Nautilus window. Same fonts, same color schemes, same scrollbar, same tab style, same widgets, same everything. The menus use the same color schemes as well. Opera doesn't use ANY of it.

I'm a unity nut. If my icons don't mix JUST RIGHT with my theme, I go nuts finding a new set. My background HAS to mix with my theme and icons. I have to have a cursor that works as well, not to mention fonts. And my conky HAS to blend with my wallpaper or else I have to rewrite it (which is why I'm so happy I happened to have this wallpaper handy). I'm supremely OCD. Frankly the icon set I picked was largely in part because it had separate icons for the documents/downloads/pictures/etc folders. :lolflag: