PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Hide Task Bar in KDE 4.1

mschraier
August 29th, 2008, 12:46 PM
It was possible in KDE 3.x.x to hide the task bar. WIth 4.0 I was told that that function was not yet incorporated. Any ideas as to when it will be or if it is, how do I do that? Or, can the height of the task bar be adjusted to make it somewhat shorter than it is??

:guitar::guitar:

wd5gnr
August 29th, 2008, 12:57 PM
I don't know how to hide it but it is easy to resize it. Right click on the taskbar (you have to find a "blank" area and select panel settings. If you don't see that choice, you've actually clicked on a running program's icon or something, so just try another spot. Once you do that a second bar will open next to the task bar with some options. You can grab the edge of the second bar and resize everything. When you are done, you can close the second bar. You can also move and do other operations with the 2nd bar.

I would like to know how to autohide myself.

GeneralZod
August 29th, 2008, 01:00 PM
http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/08/panel-authohide.html

http://rbitanga.blogspot.com/2008/08/configuring-plasma-panel.html

:)

mschraier
August 30th, 2008, 05:24 AM
wd5nr, that worked perfectly. thank you. this can be closed

Fatboy Snarky
October 6th, 2008, 07:24 AM
When I first tried Ubuntu Intrepid Alpha for the first time, missing autohide was in fact the thind that made me giving up and deinstalling the thing within minutes.

I fiddled around with icon placement, panel settings etc. and whan I couldn't do this the usual way, I thought of it as a bug and thought I'd better stick with KDE 3.5 for the time being.
So I admit I'm a bit picky about those decorative subtleties, but I know at least of two other Kubuntu users who think similarly.

Can there be some alternative KDE binary package with this feature backported like the SuSe guys did?

(E.g. is the Ubuntu multiverse repository affected by the Intrepid feature freeze?)

aged hippy
October 8th, 2008, 12:45 PM
I freely admit, that black thing makes my eyes bleed. :(
Black -- of all colours.

You can get rid of it by removing it, and adding widgets which contain the bits you need, notification area, pager, etc.

If you right-click on the desktop, you can install different themes (i think - i'm using Hardy 3.5.9 at the moment), Glass, Glaze, Glassified, and so on, they're much kinder on the eye. :D