PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Installing Windows XP/Partitioning

talking Llama
August 29th, 2008, 11:59 AM
I've installed Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy), had it installed for 6-ish months now, and I want to re-install Windows XP, for certain reasons, in a partition. How would I go about doing this? Thanks to anyone who helps out.

Pumalite
August 29th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Make sure is a primary partition, preferably sda1. Save all your data in Ubuntu. The other way is this:
http://apcmag.com/5459/dualboot_ubuntu_and_windows_xp
Make sure you don't install Windows in a logical partition.

talking Llama
August 29th, 2008, 12:29 PM
I got to page three, but I'd already installed the Partition Editor so didn't have to use the Live CD but when I open it up and right click on my main partition (SDA 1) it doesn't give me any of the options. I can only chose: Unmount, Manage Flags and Information.

Too Late
August 29th, 2008, 01:05 PM
I got to page three, but I'd already installed the Partition Editor so didn't have to use the Live CD but when I open it up and right click on my main partition (SDA 1) it doesn't give me any of the options. I can only chose: Unmount, Manage Flags and Information.
You cannot modify mounted partitions (i.e. partitions which are in use). LiveCD won't mount anything by default (maybe swap, I don't know). But you can still unmount that partition by simply selecting the unmount option, assuming, that the partition you want to unmount is not the root partition.

Pumalite
August 29th, 2008, 01:52 PM
That's why is better to work with Gparted Live CD.(unmounted drives/partitions)

talking Llama
August 31st, 2008, 10:23 PM
Thank you! This method worked great. Now I can dual-boot! Thanks! ^-^