PDA

View Full Version : [kde] KDE4 = huge leap backwards

benjamin222
August 29th, 2008, 11:20 AM
The new K Menu is a cluttered train wreck and the widgets are horribly annoying. Anyone else agree KDE3 is far superior or am I alone here?

arch0njw
August 29th, 2008, 12:58 PM
KDE4 is definitely different. I think there is certainly some getting used to it as they iron out things. The menu doesn't impress me much, but I thought I saw there was a way to use the old menu via one of the plasmoids. Have you taken a look at that?

yaztromo
August 29th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Is there a way to remove that little logo in the top right hand corner yet?

wd5gnr
August 29th, 2008, 01:00 PM
4.1 is better. If you don't like the new K-menu, the old one is still around. In fact, in 4.1 you can right click the K and switch to classic style. And since it is a plasmoid, it is easy enough for anyone to develop any sort of replacement they like.

But that's the nice thing about *inx, choice.

karomann
August 29th, 2008, 01:45 PM
For me it is simply annoying, the new window manager works extemely slow, especially compared to compiz + kde3, not to mention it lacks the excellent effects offered by compiz. It all makes it more like Windows Vista. In the bad way, I mean :/

After a few trials to adopt this new environment I gave up and reverted to kde3.

Zorael
August 30th, 2008, 03:39 PM
One must remember that KDE 4 isn't "based" on KDE 3, being a complete rewrite/refacturing. 3 has had since 2002 to mature, fix bugs and produce features, whereas 4 is up-and-coming in every sense. I'd still call it ready for everyday desktop use, but there's still a lot (of features) left to port/rewrite, as well as tune.

I like to avoid using the term scalability, but 4 is designed to be. The classic example: the sound system in 3 is based on the aRts frontend, the development of which was abandoned somewhere in 3's release cycle. Phonon is KDE's own child. Correct me if I'm wrong.

In my opinion, 4.1 is a huge improvement over 4.0, and I have very high hopes for future 4.x releases. The only thing that keeps me from using KDE 4 on all my systems is the video garbage bug (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=905380).