PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help! byond program

tercelkisor
August 29th, 2008, 05:28 AM
when i used windows i used to play this game thing called byond so i tried downloading it but i dont know what to do. i got everything and its unzipped but what do i do next. the readme file it comes with is complete garbage so i really need help.

cariboo
August 29th, 2008, 06:27 AM
from the readme.txt:

Installation procedure:

1. Unzip byond-linux.zip. (You probably already did this.)

2. Type 'make' and follow the instructions. Basically, you have the option
of installing here (for your personal use alone) or on the entire system.

That seems pretty simple to follow. Make sure you have build-essential installed:

sudo apt-get install build-essential

Jim

tercelkisor
August 29th, 2008, 01:12 PM
k im new to linux.. so when they say type make, do they mean in the terminal? cause i tried that and it says

No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.

so i guess "make byond" and

No rule to make target `byond'. Stop.

Partyboi2
August 29th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Those errors are probably because you are not in the source directory. So if you downloaded it to your Desktop open a terminal and change to your Desktop directory

cd ~/Desktopthen extract the zip file with

unzip 426.996_byond_linux.zip*change 426.996_byond_linux.zip to correct name if you downloaded another version.
Then you have 2 options
1st option
If you want to install the program so that all users can use it (Easiest)
enter the newly created directory by typing

cd byondOnce in the byond directory type

sudo make install2nd option
If you are wanting to install just for you, you will need to move the byond folder to where ever you want to install it. So for example if you want to install it in your /home directory you will need to move the byond to your /home folder with

mv byond /home/username*Replace username with your username.
then change into the directory

cd /home/username/byond*Replace username with correct one.
then to install type:

make herethen run the command that is displayed eg.

source /home/username/byond/bin/byondsetup
*Replace username again with correct one.

tercelkisor
August 30th, 2008, 12:30 AM
sorry for being such an idiot, but whats after that? nothing happened when i put ion that last code it just gave me a new bar like i presses enter without typing anything.

how to i actually get the game??

sorry

Partyboi2
August 30th, 2008, 01:49 AM
Having a look at the byond website at the linux version I came across this:

In this article, we will look at installing the command-line version of BYOND on Linux.

The command-line version of BYOND is suitable for hosting servers but not for playing games, as it does not come with a graphical interface.

You have installed the command line version, probably not what you are wanting. You might be able to play the games using wine (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Wine), but I am not sure how you would do that.

tercelkisor
August 30th, 2008, 02:59 AM
ohh that sucks..

thanks anyways

Dlanir
September 18th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Cool such a hope smasher that's why it won't work lmao finally thanks dude.

digitalmouse
January 5th, 2009, 12:11 AM
had the original poster did a little reading, he would have noticed that the BYOND website clearly states that the Linux/MacOS X versions are command line only, typically used as a game host. You still need the Windows version of BYOND, which includes the game 'client' DreamSeeker, to play games made with BYOND.

alternatively, you can look at the Wine support of BYOND via the BYOND Linux Guild: http://www.byond.com/members/LinuxGuild - not 100%, but very decent support so far.

lastly, using VirtualBox and something like TinyXP gives you Windows running on top of Ubuntu, so you can use the native Windows version of BYOND, albeit a little slower due to emulation.

:popcorn:

hamburgefonstiv
January 11th, 2012, 02:56 AM
had the original poster did a little reading, he would have noticed that the BYOND website clearly states that the Linux/MacOS X versions are command line only, typically used as a game host. You still need the Windows version of BYOND, which includes the game 'client' DreamSeeker, to play games made with BYOND.

alternatively, you can look at the Wine support of BYOND via the BYOND Linux Guild: http://www.byond.com/members/LinuxGuild - not 100%, but very decent support so far.

lastly, using VirtualBox and something like TinyXP gives you Windows running on top of Ubuntu, so you can use the native Windows version of BYOND, albeit a little slower due to emulation.

If you had done a little research you would have noticed that the BYOND site only mentions that the Linux install is host-only on the linux installation help page. It makes no mention of that on the actual download page.
http://www.byond.com/download/

digitalmouse
January 11th, 2012, 08:22 AM
If you had done a little research you would have noticed that the BYOND site only mentions that the Linux install is host-only on the linux installation help page. It makes no mention of that on the actual download page.
http://www.byond.com/download/

if you had been with the BYOND community long enough you would have noticed that the website has gone through several design changes since 2009, and would understand why my reply - posted *three* years ago - would be out of date now, making your response little more than trolling and essentially resurrecting a dead thread for no good reason.

Elfy
January 11th, 2012, 08:40 AM
Closed.