PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Kernel Question here..

bhart007
August 29th, 2008, 03:21 AM
Hi all.. just xferred over from PCLOS Gnome. I loved PCLOS but the lack of support both in number of devs and on the forums was too much to bear any longer. I used PCLOS Gnome for about 7 months so I'm not a total noob.

Anyway I'm wondering, on a fresh install of Hardy, have there been any issues associated with upgrading the kernel from 2.6.24.21-generic to the RT version? Forgive me if this has already been asked.. I didnt notice a kernel specific topic area.

Thanks!

cariboo
August 29th, 2008, 07:00 AM
You can use Synaptic Package Manager to install other kernels, or you can install Ubuntu Studio and get the real time kernel by default.

Jim

Thelasko
August 29th, 2008, 03:57 PM
sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude install linux-rt
I think it's much easier than installing UbuntuStudio.

bhart007
August 30th, 2008, 02:52 AM
So let me get this straight.. you just choose to download and install a different kernel thru Synaptic.. which will be configured, make'd and everything. Then be added as a choice in grub? Holy crap!

Shazaam
August 30th, 2008, 03:07 AM
So let me get this straight.. you just choose to download and install a different kernel thru Synaptic.. which will be configured, make'd and everything. Then be added as a choice in grub? Holy crap!

Yep. If it's available in Synaptic or the update Manager it is that easy. Welcome to Ubuntu.

bhart007
August 30th, 2008, 03:47 AM
Niiice. Well I guess honestly it's almost the same as it was in PCLOS.. except for the added support of more than 1 other kernel. SWEET!