PDA

View Full Version : Hiya People!

fin
November 15th, 2005, 03:32 AM
*waves at every one*

I got tired of hang-ups in XP. I had to sell a kick ass computer a few months back (needed cash quick), then a month later bought this one. It was all I could afford :(

This one wasn't horrible but it also didn't kick ass. In fact it sucked for anything other than surfing the 'net. Trying to play GTA-SA was a joke, as was running Vista Beta. I didn't expect them to run well... I expected to get LUCKY and have them run somewhat well. Neither happened.

I have a Dell; 2.66 Ghz Celeron, 512mb memory, DVD+RW, onboard video & sound (with leftover 5.1 speaker setup from the last one).

Today I got so mad at my XP setup BOGGING DOWN (mainly from the antivirus/anti-spyware crap) just loading websites, that I decided to try Ubuntu. Yep, I'd checked out a few flavors.

Long story short, I downloaded the live cd and it loaded and ran beautifully! With sound and everything! And OMG so much faster than XP on this machine...

So, will the full install (which I am downloading right now) be as successful? Maybe more so?

I have two HDDs in this box... going to run XP in the primary until I get comfortable with Linux... then swap over... them eventually get rid of XP.

Oh and I had a very small amount of Linux experience... I bought Mandrake 7.0 from Best Buy years ago, played with it, never got it compatible with the computer I owned at the time.

Sorry for the huge rambling first post. :rolleyes:

Chayak
November 15th, 2005, 03:51 AM
Welcome. I'm fairly new to Ubuntu myself, though I've been using linux for some time.

Well I still have one ******* machine, just for games, thats it. My others run linux or OS X... yes, the mini mac runs Ubuntu.

I did end up with linux only on my desktop which use to dual boot. A typo in a command from formatting sdb which is my usb disk drive and sda which is my scsi hd with windows XP on it... well sda got formatted so no more windows in that desktop for the moment.

Kapre
November 15th, 2005, 03:52 AM
*waves at every one*

I got tired of hang-ups in XP. I had to sell a kick ass computer a few months back (needed cash quick), then a month later bought this one. It was all I could afford :(

This one wasn't horrible but it also didn't kick ass. In fact it sucked for anything other than surfing the 'net. Trying to play GTA-SA was a joke, as was running Vista Beta. I didn't expect them to run well... I expected to get LUCKY and have them run somewhat well. Neither happened.

I have a Dell; 2.66 Ghz Celeron, 512mb memory, DVD+RW, onboard video & sound (with leftover 5.1 speaker setup from the last one).

Specs are good and Ubuntu will really run faster on it. But I dont think your GTA game will do better on linux (I dont even know if it will run on it - maybe it will if you use Wine or Cedega)

Today I got so mad at my XP setup BOGGING DOWN (mainly from the antivirus/anti-spyware crap) just loading websites, that I decided to try Ubuntu. Yep, I'd checked out a few flavors.

Long story short, I downloaded the live cd and it loaded and ran beautifully! With sound and everything! And OMG so much faster than XP on this machine...

So, will the full install (which I am downloading right now) be as successful? Maybe more so?

I have two HDDs in this box... going to run XP in the primary until I get comfortable with Linux... then swap over... them eventually get rid of XP.

Oh and I had a very small amount of Linux experience... I bought Mandrake 7.0 from Best Buy years ago, played with it, never got it compatible with the computer I owned at the time.

Sorry for the huge rambling first post. :rolleyes:

fin - Its good you've tried the Live CD of Ubuntu. A full install will definitely run faster on it. Since you have 2 HDD, it would be best to do a dual boot first so you can have a feel of linux. If you have time, read on some post and anticipate some issues that might occur but don't be discourade by them coz any problem you'll have on your install, the forum is here is to help out.

K

fin
November 15th, 2005, 05:23 AM
If you have time, read on some post and anticipate some issues that might occur but don't be discourade by them coz any problem you'll have on your install, the forum is here is to help out.

K

K ~ right now its asking me for a username/password I don't know. Weird.

I can get back to XP... should I format the 2nd HDD again and reinstall?

fin
November 15th, 2005, 05:36 AM
A typo in a command from formatting sdb which is my usb disk drive and sda which is my scsi hd with windows XP on it... well sda got formatted so no more windows in that desktop for the moment.

Wow I don't have any USB storage :/

And anyway - wtf

fin
November 15th, 2005, 05:37 AM
AND WHY DO I HAVE ZERO POSTS

Crap

fin
November 15th, 2005, 05:44 AM
fin - Its good you've tried the Live CD of Ubuntu.

A full install will definitely run faster on it. Since you have 2 HDD, it would be best to do a dual boot first so you can have a feel of linux. If you have time, read on some post and anticipate some issues that might occur but don't be discourade by them coz any problem you'll have on your install, the forum is here is to help out.

K

Tried installing username/password has me stuck

BoyOfDestiny
November 15th, 2005, 08:24 AM

Crap

Posts in community chat aren't counted.

Kuolio
November 15th, 2005, 09:00 AM
when doing your install, the installer will ask you to create user account for your computer, and you need to type in your username to later log in to your computer. Usernames are case sensitive, so that Mark and mark are two different users. Write down your exact username incase you forget it.

After creating the user, you need to give password for that user account. The password is case sensitive, so password Redbull is different from redbull. Write down your password for safekeeping, incase you forget it.

After install when your computer boots you can see your services coming up and the bootsplash image. After that, GDM should load and ask for your username and password. Type them in (remember, case sensitive!) and Gnome should load up.

Now, here's the ubuntu twist: Usualy linux-installers would ask you to give password for root, then ask for username for regular useraccount, and password for that. "Root" is the systemadminstrator-account in linux systems, and ubuntu also has it but by default it's hidden.

Instead, Ubuntu uses regular user with socalled "SUDO"-rights. Sudo is a special command, that will make things run with root-rights. SUDO comes from SuperUserDO or something like that. And when using sudo, it will ask your useraccounts pasword, not the pasword of "root" user (that is hidden).

So, in Ubuntu you can do systemadmin, a.k.a. root stuff, by issuing "sudo" commands as normal user. Some like it and some don't, like someone likes Pepsi and some like Coke. If you don't like it, you can change it.

Sirin
November 15th, 2005, 09:10 AM
K ~ right now its asking me for a username/password I don't know. Weird.

I can get back to XP... should I format the 2nd HDD again and reinstall?

Wow I don't have any USB storage :/

And anyway - wtf

Crap

Tried installing username/password has me stuck

Please use the http://ubuntuforums.org/images/element/buttons_blue/edit.gif button, please. :smile:

Chayak
November 15th, 2005, 09:40 AM

Crap

You're not unique. I show only 4 posts and I've posted a lot more than that.

fin
November 16th, 2005, 01:45 AM
Sorry, I should have known that. But I was a little confused because my computer's clock has been acting weird since installing ubuntu (currently it displays 12:43am, when it is in fact 8:43am, EST)... I've reset it several times, but it keeps adjusting for some reason.

Anyway, that's a subject for a seperate thread in a seperate forum. Thanks for the greets :cool:

fin
November 16th, 2005, 01:52 AM
when doing your install, the installer will ask you to create user account for your computer, and you need to type in your username to later log in to your computer. Usernames are case sensitive, so that Mark and mark are two different users. Write down your exact username incase you forget it.

After creating the user, you need to give password for that user account. The password is case sensitive, so password Redbull is different from redbull. Write down your password for safekeeping, incase you forget it.

After install when your computer boots you can see your services coming up and the bootsplash image. After that, GDM should load and ask for your username and password. Type them in (remember, case sensitive!) and Gnome should load up.

Now, here's the ubuntu twist: Usualy linux-installers would ask you to give password for root, then ask for username for regular useraccount, and password for that. "Root" is the systemadminstrator-account in linux systems, and ubuntu also has it but by default it's hidden.

Instead, Ubuntu uses regular user with socalled "SUDO"-rights. Sudo is a special command, that will make things run with root-rights. SUDO comes from SuperUserDO or something like that. And when using sudo, it will ask your useraccounts pasword, not the pasword of "root" user (that is hidden).

So, in Ubuntu you can do systemadmin, a.k.a. root stuff, by issuing "sudo" commands as normal user. Some like it and some don't, like someone likes Pepsi and some like Coke. If you don't like it, you can change it.

I really shouldn't drink when I'm installing an OS :(

I did write down my username/password, but didn't pay attention to any case-sensitive issue. I've tried variations to no avail. Guess I need to reinstall.