PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What's the difference?

d0b33
August 28th, 2008, 11:55 PM
I would like to download a Ubuntu 8.04.1 LTS ISO, but this time I would like to do a custom install and choose my packages at installation time, I was told that only the server and alternate iso's allow you to choose is this true?

So what's the difference between server, alternate and desktop variants and which one will allow a custom installation?

tuxxy
August 28th, 2008, 11:56 PM
The normal CD would do, after install just remove anything not needed this would then be a custom install too

d0b33
August 29th, 2008, 12:08 AM
The normal CD would do, after install just remove anything not needed this would then be a custom install too

It might be a custom install but I would like to do a clean custom install... :(

Not possible?

ugm6hr
August 29th, 2008, 12:42 AM
Either do a minimum install with Alternate (or minimal (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD)) CD, or a server install (with server CD), then aptitude whatever else you want on top.

If you use the alternate CD, I think you should be able to use it as a "repository" rather than downloading everything (but have never actually done this).

Sef
August 29th, 2008, 12:46 AM
I would like to download a Ubuntu 8.04.1 LTS ISO, but this time I would like to do a custom install and choose my packages at installation time, I was told that only the server and alternate iso's allow you to choose is this true?

I would reccommend a minimal install (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation#Installation%20without%20a%20CD) and add what you want.

d0b33
August 29th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Ok thanks, but what I would like to know is does the server CD allow you to choose packages? and is the alternate CD installer text based without a GUI?

ugm6hr
August 29th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Ok thanks, but what I would like to know is does the server CD allow you to choose packages?
Yes. But the packages available to choose are generally not useful for a desktop: databases, web server etc.

and is the alternate CD installer text based without a GUI?
Yes. As is the minimal CD.

There is no GUI-based installer that allows package selection.

d0b33
August 29th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Yes. But the packages available to choose are generally not useful for a desktop: databases, web server etc.

Yes. As is the minimal CD.

There is no GUI-based installer that allows package selection.

Thanks.