PDA

View Full Version : Windows. Free.

xequence
November 15th, 2005, 02:44 AM
No, not what you were thinking :P

"Even as Microsoft readies a host of new ad-supported online services to battle rivals, the software maker has been mulling a plan to offer free, ad-supported versions of some of its desktop products, CNET News.com has learned.

Although no specific plans have been made, executives within Microsoft are examining whether it makes sense to release ad-supported versions of products such as Works, Money, or even the Windows operating system itself, according to internal documents seen by CNET News.com."

Link to story on news.com (http://news.com.com/Microsoft+eyes+making+desktop+apps+free/2100-1014_3-5951569.html?tag=nefd.lede)

Is it just me or is this proof they are threatened by google? Trying to do what google does best - Putting ads everywhere.

Just think with windows antispyware, after a scan: "You have 718 new infections. Click the flashing banner to go to fixmypc.com and get a FREE virus scan!"

23meg
November 15th, 2005, 02:50 AM
It would be plain ridiculous, no matter how well implemented it is.

xequence
November 15th, 2005, 02:53 AM
Yea. Screen real estate is already tight. I just have no idea HOW they would do it.

I wonder if it has something to do with their purchase of Claria (formerly Gator, yes THAT gator. The infamous spyware company)

23meg
November 15th, 2005, 02:56 AM
Maybe they'll put out something close to a "web based OS" to compete with Sun + Google and that will be ad-driven.

ssam
November 15th, 2005, 03:00 AM
they would not need adds, they have the capital to run for a few years. if they made windows free as in beer then very few people would see the advantage of linux being open.

people would still pay for office, and server versions of windows. they could skim a proffit off pay to view films or music.

linux would suffer.

in a decades time when they competion was gone they could rack the price back up.

scary.

magomago
November 15th, 2005, 03:04 AM
No, not what you were thinking :P

"Even as Microsoft readies a host of new ad-supported online services to battle rivals, the software maker has been mulling a plan to offer free, ad-supported versions of some of its desktop products, CNET News.com has learned.

Although no specific plans have been made, executives within Microsoft are examining whether it makes sense to release ad-supported versions of products such as Works, Money, or even the Windows operating system itself, according to internal documents seen by CNET News.com."

Link to story on news.com (http://news.com.com/Microsoft+eyes+making+desktop+apps+free/2100-1014_3-5951569.html?tag=nefd.lede)

Is it just me or is this proof they are threatened by google? Trying to do what google does best - Putting ads everywhere.

Just think with windows antispyware, after a scan: "You have 718 new infections. Click the flashing banner to go to fixmypc.com and get a FREE virus scan!"
It depends how they do it. Google's ads are not invasive and often I don't even notice they are there. The colors are very plain and don't jump out and scream at me This is not unlike much of the ad supported software that I have used over time where the ad takes a prominent space on your screen, often is altnerating green and red flashing colors, and is just darn right annoying...

And I have a feeling Microsoft won't go the route of the former...

Master Shake
November 15th, 2005, 03:27 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/gallery/files/3/6/7/6/6/mcd.GIF

ferentix
November 15th, 2005, 10:15 PM
Paperclip: "Hi, it looks like you could do with a JUICY MACBURGER!"

Boot screen: "Windows is starting up...

While you wait for Windows to start up, why not check out the many money saving offers at Tecos?"