PDA

View Full Version : Need senior design ideas

summersab
August 28th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Community,

I am a Senior Computer Science student at John Brown University in Siloam Springs, AR, USA. This semester, I am required to start my senior design project. This project is aimed at developing some piece of code from the gound-up and maintaining a development cycle (documentation, specs, etc). I am currently very interested in networking (though my experience is limited). I really want to do something related to networking with Linux either on the server or client side. I thought perhaps I could do something to imporve a facet of interfacing networks with Windows. I am not incredibly familliar with the ins-and-outs of Linux networking, but the goal is that I learn something from this project. The idea need not be original and it can be a modification to existing code (ie writing a plugin). One idea I had was writing a GUI for Samba. I wanted to know if any developers could point me in the right direction and give me some other ideas that the community has a need for.

Thank you for your input - it is MOST appreciated!

ByteJuggler
August 29th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Perhaps having a look at the existing Blueprints on Launchpad (https://blueprints.launchpad.net/?searchtext=samba) is an idea. Some blueprints have mentor's available to help get one going, it may be an idea to pursue the implementation of one of them with a mentor. Personally I would like your idea of improving SAMBA integration, I think this one (https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/simplesamba)or this (https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/easy-networking) would be nice enhancements.

finer recliner
August 29th, 2008, 03:05 PM
I recommend doing a project that will somehow help a handicapped person and better their life. My team did this as one of our senior design projects, and it was very well received. We all cared much more about the project and put in a greater effort because we knew real people would be benefiting from it. It was a great experience for everyone.

//just my 2 cents

rock.shell
September 13th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Community,

I am a Senior Computer Science student at John Brown University in Siloam Springs, AR, USA. This semester, I am required to start my senior design project. This project is aimed at developing some piece of code from the gound-up and maintaining a development cycle (documentation, specs, etc). I am currently very interested in networking (though my experience is limited). I really want to do something related to networking with Linux either on the server or client side. I thought perhaps I could do something to imporve a facet of interfacing networks with Windows. I am not incredibly familliar with the ins-and-outs of Linux networking, but the goal is that I learn something from this project. The idea need not be original and it can be a modification to existing code (ie writing a plugin). One idea I had was writing a GUI for Samba. I wanted to know if any developers could point me in the right direction and give me some other ideas that the community has a need for.

Thank you for your input - it is MOST appreciated!

From your question , I can deduce that u have not big project develop experience.
Manage project and Coding are totally different things.
If u wanna practice software development engineering, CMMI or XP are both worthy; If u wanna do some contribute to ubuntu society, writing a server-side plugin or gui-front are good enough.

AFAIK,Ubuntu has already integrated a samba gui tool...

Doing project management seems more easier than coding, especially under high pressure.

which way do u wanna go , dude?:lolflag: