PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unable to stop GRUB boot to change kernel args (using VMware)

skstrobel
August 28th, 2008, 11:19 PM
I am working with Ubuntu 8.04 installed in a VMware virtual machine, running it from a desktop shortcut created with VMware Server (the free version). I am trying to change the kernel options, but I can't seem to abort the startup process. In fact, I don't see any messages from GRUB during startup, so I have just been giving control of the keyboard to the VM as early in the startup process as possible by pressing CTRL-G, then pressing "a" or ESC repeatedly to attempt to stop the boot process. Thanks for any suggestions.

Steve

Full disclosure: I messed up my username/password and can't log onto Ubuntu, so I trying to recover the password as described at <http://www.petri.co.il/vmware-esx-server-root-password-reset-recovery-lost.htm>. Any other solution for that problem would be fine too :) Thanks.

skstrobel
August 29th, 2008, 05:42 PM
I finally figured out how to stop the GRUB boot process so I could switch to single user mode. From the Ubuntu login screen, select Options (lower-left corner), then Restart. The GRUB messages are then visible and pressing ESC works fine to access the recovery console.