PDA

View Full Version : Valve Software Porting Games to Linux

linuxguymarshall
August 28th, 2008, 10:28 PM
I was stumbling around the web and felt the need to google search "Valve ports to Linux". I hit the first link that showed up and it was a job application for a Senior Software Engineer. Under the Responsibilities I noticed a great little line that read : "Port Windows-based games to the Linux platform."

Not sure what you think but I think 'id' has some competition.

Link here : http://www.valvesoftware.com/job-SenSoftEngineer.html

Newuser1111
August 28th, 2008, 10:51 PM
But the games already work in WINE.

OutOfReach
August 28th, 2008, 10:53 PM
I just wish Rockstar would port to Linux. :(

linuxguymarshall
August 28th, 2008, 10:55 PM

Wine is not the same a native. And this just proves that Linux is becoming more popular is major software companies are porting. Now we just need Sierra, EA, and Maxis and the whole gang will be here

linuxguymarshall
August 28th, 2008, 10:55 PM
I just wish Rockstar would port to Linux. :(

amen

RedPandaFox
August 29th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Wine is not the same a native. And this just proves that Linux is becoming more popular is major software companies are porting. Now we just need Sierra, EA, and Maxis and the whole gang will be here

Hells yeah. The only reason I'm putting XP on a computer for my friend is i cant get Sims 2 to run on Ubuntu.

She likes the look and feel of Linux, just that she likes Sims more...

Dremora
August 29th, 2008, 12:49 AM
That post has been there for years.

People STILL see it and freak out, yay!

There's no financial incentive for them to port to Linux, they probably just gave up and never took the posting down.

Lostincyberspace
August 29th, 2008, 12:52 AM
You forgot blizzard.

Dremora
August 29th, 2008, 12:54 AM
There's little incentive for this to happen, with over 100 somewhat incompatible distributions, and maybe a 0.1% increase in sales for the trouble.

Linux is not popular, it's just slightly less obscure than it used to be, it still hasn't even cracked 1%.

Sephoroth
August 29th, 2008, 01:09 AM
There's little incentive for this to happen, with over 100 somewhat incompatible distributions, and maybe a 0.1% increase in sales for the trouble.

Linux is not popular, it's just slightly less obscure than it used to be, it still hasn't even cracked 1%.

If only game makers intended to make their games compatible with the servers they are often hosted on :/....

Northsider
August 29th, 2008, 03:42 AM

I guess you could use the word "work" here. Personally I hate wine and can never get anything to work correctly. Native would be much nicer, this is great news!

Comzee
August 29th, 2008, 03:50 AM
Wine kills games performance and 80% of the time limits graphics or audio settings. I have an 8800gtx with a c2d e6600 and two gigs pc6400 ram. I never get below 100+ fps in css with 16xaa 16qx af in Windows.

In Ubuntu, I get around 40fps with low to medium setting and fps lag spikes and such, plus the sound quality is horrible.

Polygon
August 29th, 2008, 04:16 AM
That post has been there for years.

People STILL see it and freak out, yay!

There's no financial incentive for them to port to Linux, they probably just gave up and never took the posting down.

that post has been there for less then one year.

and also, the guy who is developing postal 3 says there will be a linux port, and it is confirmed that postal 3 will use the source engine.

the source engine also has a working version for open gl, as the Orange Box has a ps3 port, and for sure the ps3 does not use direct x.

yeah, i'm sure a respectable highly successful company like valve 'forgot' to take a job listing down Especially after people have applied for the position that 'doesn't exist anymore. *rolls eyes*.

Canis familiaris
August 29th, 2008, 04:36 AM

Not Really

Sephoroth
August 29th, 2008, 06:33 AM
Huh, I suppose you're right Polygon. It was posted on Alliedmodder's forums on 9/13/07 but for some reason it feels like it was long before then....Is there any news if Valve's back catalog (CS 1.6, HL, TFC, etc.) will be ported as well? They already can run in OpenGL so....

Delever
August 29th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Wine kills games performance and 80% of the time limits graphics or audio settings. I have an 8800gtx with a c2d e6600 and two gigs pc6400 ram. I never get below 100+ fps in css with 16xaa 16qx af in Windows.

In Ubuntu, I get around 40fps with low to medium setting and fps lag spikes and such, plus the sound quality is horrible.

You are thinking about it the wrong way. What performance would you get on Linux WITHOUT wine?

red_Marvin
August 29th, 2008, 11:43 AM
You are thinking about it the wrong way. What performance would you get on Linux WITHOUT wine?

The point was probably that "it works in wine" is not a valid reason for not porting something to native.

Hire
August 29th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Old news, sorry :D

However, I don't know if we see the porting of Steam on gnu\linux because that seem to be only for the server-side :)