PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] help!

ninjip
August 28th, 2008, 10:17 PM
well ubuntu isn't really the OS for me. so I bought a new windows XP CD but when I try to install it it always says there are missing hardrives and stuff. Is this due to my ubuntu installation? or is it a problem with my computer itself??!

(really needa fix this quick)

qwerty6523
August 28th, 2008, 10:18 PM
why isnt ubuntu the os for you

kellemes
August 28th, 2008, 10:47 PM
well ubuntu isn't really the OS for me. so I bought a new windows XP CD but when I try to install it it always says there are missing hardrives and stuff. Is this due to my ubuntu installation? or is it a problem with my computer itself??!

Maybe you should clean your partitions using the Ubuntu LiveCD first, or something like GParted Livecd (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php).
Windows is rather stupid with non native filesystems so maybe that's why it doesn't see your drives.

oilchangeguy
August 28th, 2008, 11:13 PM

the fact the user has a non windows partiton has nothing to do with the windows cd seeing the hard drive. new hard drives don't come already formated ntfs people. the computer probably has a sata hard drive, which can sometimes give problems when trying to install xp.

ugm6hr
August 29th, 2008, 12:47 AM
the fact the user has a non windows partiton has nothing to do with the windows cd seeing the hard drive. new hard drives don't come already formated ntfs people. the computer probably has a sata hard drive, which can sometimes give problems when trying to install xp.

I thought this too initially.

But I found that XP did not even recognise the presence of an ext3 formatted HD on an old desktop of mine, although wiping it with 0's using Active KillDisk made it visible. So it appeared not so much that XP only recognises NTFS, but just doesn't recognise ext3. Funny that after completing the installation, you can see the ext3 drive (As unformatted).

Very bizarre... And I have no rational explanation.

Nevertheless, I'd suggest wiping the HD with something like KillDisk, or just reformatting with GParted to vfat, and then formatting again with the XP install disc.