PDA

View Full Version : If you were considering hiring someone to build a website for you...

Auax
August 28th, 2008, 07:35 PM
and/or manage the server you host it on, what kind of questions would you want to ask them before you commit?

I'm trying to compile an FAQ for a web development company, and I'd like to know what questions are the first that come to a potential customer's mind.

Kingsley
August 28th, 2008, 07:38 PM
The first question should be "Why do I (or my business) need a website?"

Auax
August 28th, 2008, 07:40 PM
The first question should be "Why do I (or my business) need a website?"

Ooh, that's a great question. I didn't even think about that.

finer recliner
August 28th, 2008, 07:42 PM
fees, experience with PHP, RoR, MySQL, etc?, and i'll want to see a portfolio

billgoldberg
August 28th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Also state why it would be better to let a firm do it that some local computer whiz kid that almost does it for free.

Auax
August 28th, 2008, 07:46 PM
More great questions, thanks guys and keep em coming.

LaRoza
August 28th, 2008, 07:55 PM
and/or manage the server you host it on, what kind of questions would you want to ask them before you commit?

I'm trying to compile an FAQ for a web development company, and I'd like to know what questions are the first that come to a potential customer's mind.

As a web dev (who is often asked for advice by people about to buy services), I recommend they ask:

Is your code valid and cross browser and cross resolution? This means you have to test it and have it work in IE 6/7, Fx, 1.5/2/3, Opera 9x, Safari on OS X and Windows, and other browsers. It has to be usuable at 800x600 as well.
Is your code accessable? This means it has to be logically laid out in lynx to me, but also means that a screen reader has to read it in a way that makes sense (weird layout tricks don't work in such browsers, so keep it logical!) This is also a legal requirement for some countries.
Do you use free server languages? If your code is tied to Windows servers, then it is no use to many people, so you have to tell that you either work/don't work on various server platforms.

Ideally, the answers will be:

Our code works in all browsers and platforms, and degraces gracefully in legacy browsers and on low resolution monitors.

Our code complies with accessability standards, and is easily rendered in text only and screen reading environments. We also follow colour standards to allow greatest ease of reading.

Our code works on the most popular server platforms (and possibly database servers, if you use them) on various operating systems. There are no licensing fees.

Auax
August 28th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Thanks for those.

Do these sound like good questions formats for the FAQ list?

Does your code work on multiple browsers/resolutions?

What if I want someone else to edit your code?

Can I use your codes on any server?

finer recliner
August 28th, 2008, 08:07 PM

why would the customer get ANOTHER person to edit code you already started? the final product you give the customer should meet their expectations, if it doesnt, they are going to ask YOU to fix it.

LaRoza
August 28th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Thanks for those.

Do these sound like good questions formats for the FAQ list?

Does your code work on multiple browsers/resolutions?

Can I use your codes on any server?

The second one is bad for business I think. I think you should explicity mention the accessibility issue http://www.w3.org/WAI/

But only if you follow it, which you should ;)

Auax
August 28th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Good point guys. I didn't think about that one. XD

I don't really know anything about wai... I'll have to look into it.