PDA

View Full Version : All masters post recomended linux books here

eotakos
August 28th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Hi! i thought that this would be the place to post something like this...

I'm asking everyone that has read a book about linux that helped him advance his knowledge on the subject, to post titles and opinions here!
(you could also organize your list in levels)

i'm surtainly not a master; i consider my self below intermediate level- even though i think such ranking varies depending on how high one may anticipate to get. Even so, i can start this list posting my experience

"Ubuntu linux bible": This summer i studied this book and i find that it helped me built some knowledge from the groud up and i think that getting some organized knowledge is better than trying to fix a specific problem.

level: beginner -> intermediate (even though it says that it is a beginner->advanced; i think that they added this advanced thing because the book has a chapter about setting up servers that doesn't do in-depth analysis)

comments: in the beginning it may be scary to completely beginners but after a while it takes things step by step. Major advantage: it may not get into details about everything but it lets you to know what it is that you need to know in order to make something work. this way you can search for the right thing

Joeb454
August 29th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Moved to Community Cafe ;)

StOoZ
August 29th, 2008, 12:16 AM
books are nice , but you'll learn most stuff by playing with things around , and getting some experience , which takes time.

if you want to do stuff , just read a web-tutorial.

oldos2er
August 29th, 2008, 01:49 AM
I am no master, which is why I enjoyed "Linux for Dummies." Also O'Reilly's "Running Linux," among others.