PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] newcomer need to play mp3 and mpg in ubuntu 8.xx

overlord747
August 28th, 2008, 07:05 PM
i need to play mp3 and mpg in my pc on ubuntu..
can someone tell mi where i can download them to my pen...:)
i dont have internet connection:(

ajgreeny
August 28th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Sorry, but with no internet connection you can't download mp3s and play them, you will need to go about things in a different way. You will have to download various packages somehow to get the codecs and other packages needed to play mp3s, though if you use ogg format for your audio, rather than mp3, they will play straight away in Ubuntu, being open source.

Do you have any mp3s already you want to play or are you trying to download music files as well? Let us have more info and more help will come, I'm sure, though you will have to accept, I think that without an internet connection Ubuntu is much more difficult to manage, and playing multimedia may be very difficult.

If you can get hold of some way to download the iso file for Linux Mint you will have more luck as it comes with all multimedia codecs already installed and will play mp3 and other audio and video file types "out of the box", so may be a better way to go. It is based on Ubuntu and in many ways is very similar.

djRobbieF
August 29th, 2008, 04:16 PM
You want to download some MP3 music to your pen drive and then play them on Ubuntu? Well... here's my band's CD, if you want it: http://www.soulcleansed.com/free

wolfen69
August 29th, 2008, 07:02 PM
if you can get to a computer with internet connection, download KiwiLinux (http://kiwilinux.org/kiwi/en/), and install that. it is ubuntu (same theme) with all codecs pre-installed. mp3's and most other things will work for you without needing an internet connection.

overlord747
August 30th, 2008, 05:51 PM
okay,umm...thx for the reply guys..:)
my friend got internet connection at his home..and i got a pendrive too...and i got lots of mp3s and video in my HDD too..
i just cant play them..:confused: are the KiwiLinux and linuxmint better than ubuntu??i got a 32 mb video card..i downloaded the xmms player but i dont know how to install it..because there are not stup.exe like window..sry to say that but..i like linux a lot..umm
i downloaded some ubuntu learning ebook too..
reply plz..:)