PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I click install Ubuntu, NOTHING happens

jpshaouni
August 28th, 2008, 06:14 PM
I downloaded the ISO and burned it to a CD.

I booted from the CD and the install menu comes up quickly and works fine. I even tried "CHECK CD FOR DEFECTS" and it worked fine and reported no defects.

Once I click Install Ubuntu it loads and then shows the default desktop image(the crane or bird of some kind). At first the mouse works normally but after about a minute it lags very badly. That's it though. No welcome to installer screen or anything.

I have tried a few times and even reburned the ISO. Still nothing.

Any advice please!!!

snowpine
August 28th, 2008, 06:16 PM
I downloaded the ISO and burned it to a CD.

I booted from the CD and the install menu comes up quickly and works fine. I even tried "CHECK CD FOR DEFECTS" and it worked fine and reported no defects.

Once I click Install Ubuntu it loads and then shows the default desktop image(the crane or bird of some kind). At first the mouse works normally but after about a minute it lags very badly. That's it though. No welcome to installer screen or anything.

I have tried a few times and even reburned the ISO. Still nothing.

Any advice please!!!

How much RAM does your computer have? You will need at least 384mb to install using that method. If you only have 256, try the Alternate Install CD instead. Good luck!

jpshaouni
August 28th, 2008, 06:18 PM
How much RAM does your computer have? You will need at least 384mb to install using that method. If you only have 256, try the Alternate Install CD instead. Good luck!

ok I do have 256. Where do I find the alternate install CD?

EDIT: i found it. Thanks for the advice

snowpine
August 28th, 2008, 06:21 PM
ok I do have 256. Where do I find the alternate install CD?

EDIT: i found it. Thanks for the advice

Good luck, let us know if that works. If you are still not happy with the performance (since your computer is at the very minimum for Ubuntu) there is an alternative called Xubuntu that is a little bit "lighter".

jpshaouni
August 28th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Good luck, let us know if that works. If you are still not happy with the performance (since your computer is at the very minimum for Ubuntu) there is an alternative called Xubuntu that is a little bit "lighter".

ok thanks a lot. I am downloading the alternate version now. Also I have a stick of ram coming my way from a friend so I should be up to 512 soon.

jpshaouni
August 28th, 2008, 08:41 PM
I am currently installing 7.1

It seems to be working fine. After it's complete is it a good idea to upgrade to 8.04 with only 256mb of ram or should I just wait until I upgrade the memory?

NOTE: the computer I am usuing is a Dell with a Pentium4. Everything on the computer seems to be pretty up to date except for the Ram. I got the computer from a friend so he may have taken the original ram out and dropped a 256 in it.

maybeway36
August 28th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Ubutnu 8.04 should run just fine on 256MB as long as you use the alternate installer, so go ahead and upgrade. (It might also be a good idea to reinstall it from the 8.04 alternate CD so you don't have to.)

jpshaouni
August 28th, 2008, 09:10 PM
ok well I have 7.1 installed and once i turn the system on it gets to the first screen and shows me a spectrum of colors(changes each time) and a frozen clock.. I can't do anything at this point.

Any ideas?

EDIT: sorry for being annoying but after multiple restarts it worked. I hope it wont be a reacurring problem