PDA

View Full Version : mobile phone suggestions

YellowSnot
August 28th, 2008, 05:49 PM
My old smart phone finally bit the dust (I don't suppose this had anything to do with me spilling water on it). I switched to Ubuntu after purchasing it, and was never able to get it to synchronize calendar, contacts, etc. with Ubuntu. Now I'm looking for a new phone, and want to make sure I don't end up in the same boat again.

I started over at Nokia's website, hit the compare phones button, and came across the N810. It's linux based, has a full qwerty keboard, is wifi enabled, and everything I could dream of in a phone. After falling madly in love with the device, I came across one small hitch. It turns out that even though it's listed under "phones" at Nokia's website, it is in fact not a mobile phone.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a mobile phone similar to this device? My primary needs are:

Full synchronization with my Ubuntu calendar/contacts
Full qwerty keyboard
GSM

Things that aren't mandatory but would sure be nice:

Linux based
Wifi enabled
Ability to SSH into it
Ability to run my own apps
Nice package manager (I suppose most these things are standard on a linux based phone)
GPS

And since I'm sure someone is going to suggest the Openmoko, could you please point me to some good info on the current functionality of the openmoko phones. I've heard many comments and reviews about how the system is still very young, and still isn't very functional. Other than that I am very open minded about brands, and price isn't really of concern.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

plb
August 28th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Nokia e71 is likely your best bet but I've got no idea about the syncing with ubuntu. I got an e51 myself and love it. It's a second generation e-series phone similar to the e71 but without the keyboard and it's also fairly inexpensive.

vishzilla
August 28th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Openmoko is a good option, it will give a Linux feel to it. They recently launched OM 2008.

Technical Specifications

* Size and Weight
o 120.7 x 62 x 18.5 mm
o 133 grams

* Display
o Touch Screen
o 2.8" VGA (480x640) VGA Screen

* Speed
o ARM9 @ 400 MHz
o 2D/3D Graphics Acceleration

* GSM
o Tri band 850/1800/1900 MHz
o Tri band 900/1800/1900 MHz

* Power
o Removable 1200 mAh battery

* Memory
o 128MB SDRAM
o 256MB NAND Flash
o microSD Slot

* Input and Output
o Input and Output
o 2.5 mm audio jack
o GPS external connector

* Hardware Highlights
o Wi-Fi (802.1 1b/g)
o AGPS
o GPRS (2.5G not EDGE)
o Bluetooth 2.0
o 3axis Motion Sensors (2)

* Software Highlights
o Openmoko GNU/Linux-based
o 100% FOSS on CPU
o GNU/Linux development tools

Second have a look at Blackberry Bold

prshah
August 28th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Full synchronization with my Ubuntu calendar/contacts
Full qwerty keyboard
GSM

Linux based
Wifi enabled
Ability to SSH into it
Ability to run my own apps
Nice package manager (I suppose most these things are standard on a linux based phone)
GPS

I'd like to get in on this as well; my treo 650 is showing it's age (0.3 megapixel camera, sheesh!); and I refuse to go the Windows Mobile/iPhone way.

I've checked out the OpenMoko, and as you say, it seems to be bleeding edge.

I think the perfect linux phone is "just coming", in the future.

And yes I was taken in by the Nokia n810 too :lolflag:

PS: This looks interesting: HTC Dream (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_Dream); before you jump though, it's not yet released.

YellowSnot
August 28th, 2008, 09:03 PM
I am interested in the openmoko, but what concerns me are comments like this that I've seen on slashdot:

Last I checked, the dialer and address book applications weren't done yet. While it's great that it can do **** like compiling code and whatnot, it's not gonna do me -- as a person who, although a fan of Free Software, doesn't plan on doing OpenMoko development -- any good until it can make phone calls!
I use the "zhone" package to make and receive calls (the same app has also a primitive address book). However, you are correct in that there is probably not much point in using the phone if you have already decided that you don't plan to do any development.
OpenMoko is a very ambitious project, and, in my humble opinion, very important. But the quality of the result from the development of the software stack has been mediocre. I still have my hopes set that it will lift off, but it's still nowhere. Qtopia rocks, and it's free software, it's working, and it's cool, but the OpenMoko distributions aren't there yet, and I have the feeling that the effort is not focused. The old distro was cool, but it was abondoned. ASU is far from being usable (it is not even developer-friendly, not talking about user-friendly). FSO is still not mature. Now, this sets my hopes up. One commercial venture is interested in improving the phone. That for me means that one of the most important goals of the whole project has been achieved. Whatever the quality of the software stack is, we will have our free (as in speech) phone.

Are these things untrue now? Have the issues that people were having in the past with simple things like making phone call been fixed? Can you point me to a more recent review that says everything worked well out of the box? From my impression a lot of these "features" were things that worked in theory, but not so much in practice.

bashveank
August 28th, 2008, 09:53 PM
I like my Treo 755p, I probably wouldn't recommend it though, just because Palm OS is really old.
Supposedly the Blackberry Storm is coming out soon, it's supposed to have a multi-touch screen with localized haptic feedback and localized tactile feedback.
http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/27/blackberry-storm-9530-for-verizon-gets-boxed/
http://gizmodo.com/5024716/touchscreen-blackberry-storm-first-live-shots

The Blackberry Bold is also coming out soon and it will basically be the non touch counterpart to the storm
http://www.blackberry.com/blackberrybold/

People love the Nokia N series. I believe the N95 is the favorite so far with Symbian OS and a 5MP camera.

And then there's always the iPhone :D

TekNullOG
August 28th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Nokia E71

If you look online, it usually wins when compared to the new iPhone 3G.

The phone is fast, great for multi-tasking, incredible keyboard, wi-fi, GPS and so much more!!!

I was in love with my E70 but now that I have the E71, all I can say is WOW!!!

I run Fring (skype, msn, aim) at the same time as my GPS, music and mobile GMAIL and the phone still remains very fast and responsive as if I had nothing open (why not open a movie at the same time with DIVX player)! (fyi, you can't multi-task with an iPhone unless it is mac software)

It supports all corporate mail.

Anyways, I almost never need to open my laptop when I'm on the road... with Putty installed, I can easily access all my servers.

It is very small and slim while remaining VERY robust!

I'll let you make the choice!

dubfazer
August 28th, 2008, 11:43 PM
One option you have is to use a phone that can sync with funambol or scheduleworld (http://www.scheduleworld.com (http://www.scheduleworld.com/)). I'm sync'ing my calendar and contacts from evolution to a nokia e61 (which is a symbian phone) this way, but it should work for any nokia that has active sync. Have a look at this site http://internetducttape.com/2006/08/11/the-holy-grail-of-synchronization-how-to-synchronize-microsoft-outlook-multiple-locations-google-calendar-gmail-ipod-and-mobile-phone-with-funambol-scheduleworld/ and google evolution and schedulworld.

TekNullOG
August 28th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Syncing is an important thing. With my Nokia E71, I use Goosync to make sure that I have all my Google Apps and Gmail contacts and calendar events synced to my phone.

The best part is that it does it over the net so that you don't have to plug your phone in. You can sync from anywhere.

This is an alternative for those that don't like Evolution or prefer to not use it.

Don't get me wrong though, you can use it with almost any OS. Goosync is a great product that works on almost any phone. It is just particularly nice over wi-fi with the E71.

Mean-Machine
August 30th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Nokia e71 is likely your best bet but I've got no idea about the syncing with ubuntu. I got an e51 myself and love it. It's a second generation e-series phone similar to the e71 but without the keyboard and it's also fairly inexpensive.

I'm thinking of getting the e51 myself, are you able to sync with evolution via usb?

plb
August 30th, 2008, 06:44 PM
I'm thinking of getting the e51 myself, are you able to sync with evolution via usb?

I've never tried though I saw a howto somewhere on these forums for syncing symbian phones on ubuntu.

jeyaganesh
August 30th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Nokia E71

If you look online, it usually wins
Hi my Nokia N95 contract going to finished in couple of months. I am looking for new cool phone. Is E71 better than N96? I saw E71 at shops. White steel model looks good. But I feel its display is so small. Whats your opinion about E71 and N96?

plb
August 31st, 2008, 12:43 AM
Hi my Nokia N95 contract going to finished in couple of months. I am looking for new cool phone. Is E71 better than N96? I saw E71 at shops. White steel model looks good. But I feel its display is so small. Whats your opinion about E71 and N96?

I think n96 is more of a multimedia type phone whereas e71 is business. I haven't checked out the specs but with the pricetag I imagine the n96 is likely superior. However n96 lacks a keyboard if that's something important to you though I don't mind much..I find predictive text sufficient for my needs.

Slug71
August 31st, 2008, 12:47 AM
wait for the HTC Dream, Its gonna have Google's Android linux on.

jeyaganesh
August 31st, 2008, 08:04 AM
However n96 lacks a keyboard if that's something important to you though I don't mind much.I find predictive text sufficient for my needs.

Yes I really dont mind about keyboard on phone. I dont like qwerty keyboard for phones. E71 white steel has very cool look. I already have N95, so I want to buy another stylish yet superior model.

Ub1476
August 31st, 2008, 08:49 AM
I'm gonna wait for an Android phone. Hopefully it will be released quite a few in January 2009 maybe.. Only wish thinking though :(

HTC dream comes next month, I think, but it's too probably too large (or heavy).

TekNullOG
September 4th, 2008, 05:00 AM
I think n96 is more of a multimedia type phone whereas e71 is business. I haven't checked out the specs but with the pricetag I imagine the n96 is likely superior. However n96 lacks a keyboard if that's something important to you though I don't mind much..I find predictive text sufficient for my needs.

So far, I have had no problems with the screen. You can do anything with an E series that an N series does and more.

With great messaging and support for various docs, the keyboard is almost a must for me. This is my main selling point. (think of msn, aim, skype, etc...) I hate writ

E71:
+3 points to E71 for keyboard.
+1 more compact

N96:
+1 for 1/8 headphone jack
+1 for better camera
+1 screen size
-1 for poor resolution for the size

Does the N96 have GPS? The E71 does and it is great!

I have NO regrets having purchased the E71. I discover new features every day and new things to install.

jeyaganesh
September 4th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Yes N96 has GPS. Even N95 has it and works well.

YellowSnot
September 4th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Thanks for all the replies! I think I'm going to stick it out with this crappy razr that I'm using until I see some of the android phones that come out. After seeing the N810 its just hard to get excited about the other devices that are available right now, but some of the new android phones look pretty nice. Does anyone know where there is good information on android phones (especially the HTC Dream)? I googled around for some pictures, but seemed to get pictures of several different phones, mostly similar, but with different button layouts etc..

plb
September 9th, 2008, 02:13 AM
I've just joined club e71 also and love it. In fact, I'm typing from it now

reginak
September 30th, 2008, 11:19 PM
What are the differences between the E71 and the E51? I am in the market for a PDA phone, something that can handle multiple to do lists, many reminders, notes and memo fields all over the place -- whatever it takes to keep a naturally scatterbrained person more or less organized! :) But trying to be frugal. I don't care about movies or music or camera or any of that -- I want a planner, an organizer. And phone, of course. E-mail & web would be nice, but if they are expensive I'll probably pass on the options anyway. Any pay-as-you-go plans? (pay per use?)

Thanks

jeyaganesh
September 30th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Does E71 play music while browsing? Does it allow to minimize browser and do to other work?

smuki
October 1st, 2008, 12:08 AM
I hear most people doing this just go straight with Nokia as its easier to mess with. I am not sure really as I have not tried it and have a work issues blackberry.