PDA

View Full Version : just got some new computer parts, jay!

eragon100
August 28th, 2008, 05:16 PM
- 2 GB of ram, which brings the total up from 1 GB to 3 GB

- a 550 watt Cooler Master ultra silent power supply, for a:

- EVGA GeForce 8 8600 GT 512 mb GDDR 2 overclocked edition.

total price: 145 euro's.

Should increase my performance in nexuiz, ET:QW, etc. and the newly released jack keane (which is on its way to my house from tuxgames). It should also help to power savage 1 XR when it get's released by the newerth.com crew with all it's cool new heavily improved and enhanced graphics! :popcorn: :KS :) :guitar:

eragon100
August 29th, 2008, 09:16 AM
question: Do I have to remove the current Nvidia driver before replacing the video card? they both run on exactly the same driver version.

jazzgossen
August 29th, 2008, 09:23 AM
question: Do I have to remove the current Nvidia driver before replacing the video card? they both run on exactly the same driver version.

No.

eragon100
August 29th, 2008, 11:39 AM
thanx, man :)

Less trouble for me :KS

If I understand correctly, the new card will just work without any changes and nvidia x server settings will show the new card instead of the old one, right?

Tom--d
August 29th, 2008, 11:49 AM
thanx, man :)

Less trouble for me :KS

If I understand correctly, the new card will just work without any changes and nvidia x server settings will show the new card instead of the old one, right?

If its using the same driver, in theory, yes but there is only one way to find out ;)

eragon100
August 29th, 2008, 11:51 AM
I am using envy, which makes it extremely easy to just remove and then reinstall it (2 mouseclicks), so I figure I am not going to take the risk and "find out" :lolflag:

eragon100
August 29th, 2008, 01:13 PM
everything working!

Before this, in Nexuiz's first timedemo, I had a average fps of 45 on low settings, 800 x 600 resolution. On the same settings, I now have an average of 102 fps! :)

With everything maxed out (only the refelctions are on "good" and the realtime dynamic lighning etc effects are turned of) with 1280 x 1024 resolution, I have 63 fps!! :KS