PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 8.04 - black screen in boot sequence.

[ArmiSael]
August 28th, 2008, 05:04 PM
First of all, Hi everybody!

I'm new with Ubuntu and Linux, I'm traying to install Ubuntu 8.04 on my PC, the installation process was ok but the boot stops with the next message:

"Starting up...
Loading, please wait..."

After, aprox 10 minuts, I obtain a black screen and it's all, the login screen doesn't appear. If I touch the keyboard the screen appears with the same message.

I don't know how resolve this problem :S

I have tried to boot with "recovery mode" but I obtain the same result.

Before the installation I tested with Live CD and any problem, I tested the system perfectly.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance,
[ArmiSael]

qwerty6523
August 28th, 2008, 05:23 PM
try reinstalling ubuntu

[ArmiSael]
August 28th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the advice.

I have been trying and with the CD and now I'm not able to start the system in other hand with the 6.06 CD the system starts without problems.

There are something that I need to know in order to see the differences between these versions? May be changes something that force that 8.04 version doesn't start and 6.06 runs ok?

Thanks in advance,
[ArmiSael]

[ArmiSael]
August 28th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Well, I have installed the 6.06 version of Ubuntu and any problems, the systems starts OK.

Any sugestions in order to run 8.04 version?

Thanks in advance!

[ArmiSael]
August 28th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Hi again,

I have achieved to run with 8.04 CD of Ubuntu using F6 + acpi=off. With this sentence the Live CD starts OK.

After a while searching on internet, I'm not sure about the meaning of acpi=off.

Anybody can help me with acpi=off?

Thanks in advance.

cooke77
August 29th, 2008, 05:07 PM
APCI=off....means just that.
APCI is related....to your CPU's capabilities.
I have the same problem...with mine, when installing Linux (Ubuntu 8.04/Kubuntu 8.04).
I have a Dual-Core AMD Athlon 64 X2 CPU. (And,in BIOS, it's "APCI" control setting is Enabled...but, 'greyed-out'.)

I install mine, via the "Install within Windows" option, onto my 2nd hard-drive (Bought for this very purpose)...it is a 250 Gig H/drive.

You have to keep an eye out............for the LINE "Press 'ESC, to enter Menu."
When you enter Menu.......SELECT the one with (If you have APCI problems.)
This will be the one-n-only time you will have to use this 'option'.

The Installation will proceed. (And, take Time, in doing so. So, be patient.)
I formatted it 'NTFS' (beforehand).
Reason?
It is much easier to Uninstall Linux.
(All you have to do, is to go into Window/XP/Vista....and, use the "Add and Remove"....to uninstall Linux. Then, checking out the hard-drive (where you put Linux, to start with).....simply DEL the "Ubuntu Back-up" Folder you find there.
I have done this plenty of times, to know this does work well.
And, yes, there is no trace of Linux left on the hard-drive, done this way.
Windows just kicks straight in...no 'dual-boot' Grub in sight,either.

koym
August 29th, 2008, 07:13 PM
if on 32 bit Dell Opti GX1 w/Pent III 450Mhz/512MB Ram only 16 gig, to install 8.04.1 should I uninstall Ubuntu 5.04 Hearty first if I get the gray monitor amidst the install. Shows to be a good 8.04.1 desktop download and Memtest86 v1.70 is showing good results thru the 6th Pass - 1:04 WallTime.
Appreciate any advice.
Ken