PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Major desktop display problems, help please?

executorbell
August 28th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Hello all, First post. When turn on the computer, And do the sign in and all that, It takes me to a messed up colorful scrambled shredded screen. It looks like the background, Mouse, And all the icons are just mixed together. Nothing moves and no specific items are viewable, Meaning the icons are shredded and mixed in the background. The mouse is kinda blurry, But can be seen. It doesn't move though. I can start it fine, And get into the sign in and everything works. But the only way the computer is usable is if I use safe mode like I am now. Failsafe GNOME or something like that. What do I do? The only recent thing I did is take the computer to a friends and used it with his mouse, keyboard, Monitor, And wire set up, My computer just in His computers place. It worked fine till I got it home. No damage, No nothing done to it at all. I even blinked at it the right way. But it is still messed up. What do I do? Oh, And I used a cd image to install Ubuntu, And never had a problem in over a month. Yesterday it worked, Today it doesn't. Simple as that. Ty

jim_mule
August 28th, 2008, 05:57 PM
sounds like a problem with the monitor settings. like it has a bad refresh rate horizontal/vertical sync. you probably set it up using your friends monitor and then it configured itself for that monitors refresh rate horizontal/vertical sync stuff. though i am a little unsure since you say the login screen is readable/working. while your in safe mode try bring up the 'System --> Monitor Settings' program and change the settings to the resolution you want to use, log out, then log in using non-safe mode and see if it works.

overdrank
August 28th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Hello all, First post. When turn on the computer, And do the sign in and all that, It takes me to a messed up colorful scrambled shredded screen. It looks like the background, Mouse, And all the icons are just mixed together. Nothing moves and no specific items are viewable, Meaning the icons are shredded and mixed in the background. The mouse is kinda blurry, But can be seen. It doesn't move though. I can start it fine, And get into the sign in and everything works. But the only way the computer is usable is if I use safe mode like I am now. Failsafe GNOME or something like that. What do I do? The only recent thing I did is take the computer to a friends and used it with his mouse, keyboard, Monitor, And wire set up, My computer just in His computers place. It worked fine till I got it home. No damage, No nothing done to it at all. I even blinked at it the right way. But it is still messed up. What do I do? Oh, And I used a cd image to install Ubuntu, And never had a problem in over a month. Yesterday it worked, Today it doesn't. Simple as that. Ty

Hi and welcome, if what jim_mule does not help then you may try and boot into recovery mode which is usually the second choice at the grub and then use the xfix option.